Treat yourself to our delicious sugar-free banana cake without feeling guilty! This tempting treat combines the natural sweetness of ripe bananas with a delicate drizzle of agave syrup. With minimal added sugar, this moist and flavorful banana bread is a healthier option without compromising on taste. Every bite is a harmonious mix of fruity deliciousness and a hint of sweetness. Enjoy the goodness of this treat without a guilty conscience, perfect for any occasion.
- 125g self-raising wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75g sultanas
- 50g butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- Drizzle agave syrup over the top to serve (optional)
- Adults: Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 450g loaf tin/1lb tin and place baking paper on top.
- Children: Weigh the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sultanas into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Children: Weigh out the butter, vanilla essence, egg, milk and mashed bananas, place in another bowl or jug and stir with a small whisk or fork.
- Children: Pour the “wet” banana mixture into the “dry” flour mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Both: When baking, weighing must be very precise. So help older children measure carefully. Younger children can also join in with spooning or pouring into the scales under adult supervision. Younger children can also crack the egg with a fork and mash the banana with a potato masher.
- Adults: Pour the cake mix into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Adults: Remove from the oven, let cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out of the tin.
- Children: Drizzle with agave syrup if necessary.
Equipment and tools
To make this sugar-free banana cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cake pan or loaf pan
- Baking paper or non-stick spray
- Grate for cooling
This sugar-free banana cake recipe contains the following allergen:
- Gluten: The recipe includes self-raising whole wheat flour that contains gluten. If you or someone eating the cake has gluten intolerance or celiac disease, a gluten-free flour substitute may be necessary.
Storage and leftovers
After baking and cooling, you can store the sugar-free banana cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you wish, you can also store it in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life.
If you have leftovers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or store them in a sealed container. The cake can be enjoyed for up to 5 days.
To increase moisture and freshness when serving leftover cake, you can warm individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds before enjoying.
Health Benefits of Sugar Free Banana Cake
When it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth, sugar-free banana cake is a guilt-free option that not only satisfies your cravings but also offers numerous health benefits. This delicious and moist cake is made with healthy ingredients and no added refined sugar. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious treat:
1. Low added sugar
Eliminating refined sugar is one of the biggest health benefits of sugar-free banana cake. Refined sugar is known to contribute to a variety of health problems such as obesity, diabetes and heart disease. By using natural sweeteners like ripe bananas and a dash of agave syrup (optional), this cake provides a natural sweetness that won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
2. Rich in fiber
By using self-raising whole wheat flour in the recipe, this banana cake is high in fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation. In addition, it helps regulate blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol and promotes satiety, making it an excellent addition to a balanced diet.
3. Nutrient rich
Loaded with ripe bananas, this cake is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, which is essential for maintaining proper heart and muscle function. They also contain vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, and vitamin B6, which supports brain health and energy production.
4. Source of antioxidants
Using cinnamon in sugar-free banana cake offers additional health benefits. Cinnamon is rich in antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation. Antioxidants play a critical role in fighting free radicals and reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
5. Gluten free option
If you have gluten intolerance or celiac disease, you can slightly modify this recipe by using gluten-free self-raising flour instead of whole wheat flour. This way, you can still enjoy a delicious sugar-free banana cake without compromising your dietary restrictions.
6. Heart-healthy fats
Although this cake is low in added fats, using melted butter provides a small amount of heart-healthy fats. Butter contains monounsaturated fats, which, when consumed in moderation, can help improve cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease.
In summary, sugar-free banana cake is a guilt-free dessert option that offers a number of health benefits. With its low added sugar content, high-fiber whole wheat flour, nutrient-dense bananas, antioxidants from cinnamon, and heart-healthy fats, this cake is not only delicious but also a satisfying treat for your taste buds and your body.