Treat yourself to the delicious combination of juicy tomatoes stuffed with juicy minced lamb, fragrant dill and fluffy rice in this delicious recipe. The secret to intensifying the flavor is to make these stuffed tomatoes a day in advance so that the ingredients meld harmoniously into an exquisite and satisfying dish. Additionally, if you prefer a vegetarian option, have no fear! This recipe can be easily transformed into a delicious meat-free treat without compromising on taste and enjoyment. Perfect for impressing guests or treating yourself to a delicious meal full of Mediterranean warmth.
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 4 tablespoons Greek extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 200g minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 50g long grain rice
- 100 ml chicken broth
- 4 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
Tomatoes stuffed with moussaka
Place 1 large
Eggplant on a
Baking tray, then
Roast for 30 minutes
at 200C/180C fan/
Gas 6 until soft.
As soon as it’s cool enough
and dice the meat.
Follow the recipe
as above, foldable
the chopped one
Eggplant in the
Lamb mixture. Spoon a
over each tomato
before you do that
Put the lid on, then bake.Variations
These are improving
in the taste if you cook them the day before
You want to serve. Add a drop of water and
Cover with foil when warming up or simply
Serve at room temperature. They can vary
the filling by adding feta or broad beans, or
Even leave out the meat altogether and substitute it
Chicken for vegetable broth for a great
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and reserve.
Scoop out most of the pulp with a teaspoon, being careful not to break the skin.
Chop the pulp finely and collect the juice.
Sprinkle the inside of the tomatoes with a little sugar to remove the acid.
Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan.
Cook until soft but not discolored, about 10 minutes.
Add the lamb, cinnamon and tomato puree to the pan.
Increase the heat and fry until the meat is browned.
Add tomato paste and juice, rice and broth to the pan.
Season generously with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the herbs.
Fill the tomatoes up to the edge.
Cover the tomatoes with their lids.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons more olive oil.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water into the bowl.
Bake for 35 minutes.
Serve hot or cold with salad and crusty bread.
Equipment and tools
Before you start preparing stuffed tomatoes with minced lamb, dill and rice, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
This recipe for stuffed tomatoes with minced lamb, dill and rice contains the following allergens:
- chicken broth
Please check all ingredient labels for possible allergens and inform your guests accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover stuffed tomatoes with minced lamb, dill and rice, follow these storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the leftovers to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To warm up, place the stuffed tomatoes in an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and heat in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can enjoy the leftovers cold at room temperature.
Be sure to discard any leftovers that have been left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Health benefits of stuffed tomatoes with minced lamb, dill and rice
The dish “Stuffed Tomatoes with Minced Lamb, Dill and Rice” is not only a delicious and filling meal, but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their nutritional benefits:
The main ingredient of this dish, tomatoes, is rich in essential nutrients such as:
- Lycopene: Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked to a lower risk of certain cancers, including prostate and breast cancer.
- Vitamin C: These red beauties provide a significant amount of vitamin C, a nutrient known for its immune-boosting properties and its role in collagen production, which helps maintain healthy skin.
- Vitamin A: Tomatoes are also a good source of vitamin A, which is important for eye health and maintaining good vision.
2. Minced lamb
The ground lamb used in this recipe contributes to the overall nutritional value of the dish by providing:
- Protein: Lamb is a great source of high-quality protein, essential for building and repairing tissue, promoting satiety, and supporting muscle health.
- B vitamins: Lamb meat contains various B vitamins, including vitamin B12, which is needed for optimal brain function and red blood cell formation.
- Zinc: Lamb meat is rich in zinc and helps strengthen the immune system, promote wound healing and support normal growth and development.
Adding dill to this dish not only enhances the flavor but also provides additional health benefits:
- Antioxidants: Dill is a good source of antioxidants such as flavonoids and carotenoids, which help neutralize harmful free radicals and reduce inflammation in the body.
- Vitamin K: This herb is a rich source of vitamin K, a nutrient important for blood clotting and bone health.
Including long grain rice in this recipe adds a nutritious component:
- Complex Carbohydrates: Long grain rice is a complex carbohydrate that provides consistent energy release and is a good source of fiber, promoting digestive health and providing a feeling of satiety.
- B vitamins: Rice contains various B vitamins, including thiamine, niacin and folic acid, which are essential for energy production, brain function and red blood cell formation.
- Manganese: Rice is also a good source of manganese, a mineral involved in bone health and the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and cholesterol.
By incorporating these ingredients, Stuffed Tomatoes with Minced Lamb, Dill and Rice provides a filling and nutritious meal that supports overall health and well-being. Whether you enjoy it as a main dish or as a side dish, this recipe can be a delicious addition to your culinary repertoire.