Get ready to wow your friends and family with Mary Cadogan’s amazing Stuffed Peppers on the Barbie recipe. These grilled peppers are sure to leave you wanting more. The secret lies in Mary’s clever twist on traditional grilling, resulting in a dish packed with flavor and perfect for summer gatherings. Whether you’re hosting a garden party or just enjoying a casual get-together, these stuffed peppers will steal the show at any barbecue. So fire up the grill, gather your loved ones, and get ready to make memories over these delicious grilled peppers!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g pine nuts
- 140g long grain rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 350g vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 140g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150 g ball mozzarella, chopped
- 140g gorgonzola
- a handful each of parsley and basil, chopped
- 3 red and 3 yellow peppers
- String for tying
- Make the filling:
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan with a lid.
- Fry the pine nuts until lightly toasted.
- Add the rice and fry until the grains are shiny.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in spring onions, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, gorgonzola and fresh herbs.
- Season well and let cool.
- Cut off the stem of a pepper, remove it and set it aside.
- Make a slit along the length of the pepper and carefully open it.
- Remove the seeds and membrane.
- Place some of the filling in the pepper cavity, being careful not to overfill.
- Take about a meter of kitchen twine and wrap the tip around the pepper stem several times and tie it tightly.
- Place the stem on top and wrap the ends of the string around the pepper several times to secure the filling.
- Tie the ends together in a knot.
- Repeat with the other peppers.
- Heat the grill to moderate heat.
- Place the stuffed peppers on the grill.
- Cook, turning gently, for 15-20 minutes until the peppers are evenly browned.
- If the strings are charred and the peppers are bursting too much, wrap them in a piece of foil.
- Finish cooking the peppers in the aluminum foil.
Equipment and tools
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Big pot
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- String for tying
This recipe may contain the following common allergens:
- Dairy products (mozzarella and gorgonzola)
- Tree nuts (pine nuts)
Please check the packaging of all ingredients used to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the stuffed peppers on a baking sheet and warm in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
It is not recommended to freeze the stuffed peppers as the consistency may become mushy when thawed.
Health Benefits of Stuffed Peppers on the Barbie
Stuffed peppers on the Barbie are not only a delicious and filling meal, but also provide a number of health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this recipe ensures you get a balanced mix of nutrients that promote overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of some key ingredients in this dish:
With two tablespoons of olive oil, this recipe provides a healthy source of monounsaturated fats. These fats are known to help lower bad cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease. In addition, olive oil is rich in antioxidants that can have anti-inflammatory effects.
The addition of pine nuts gives the stuffed peppers a delicious crunch while providing several health benefits. These little gems are a good source of healthy fats, protein and fiber. They also contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, magnesium and zinc, which support a strong immune system and contribute to overall vitality.
Long grain rice
The long grain rice used in this recipe serves as a complete source of carbohydrates. It provides energy, fiber and essential nutrients. The fiber content promotes digestion and ensures regular bowel movements, while the complex carbohydrates ensure sustained energy release and keep you fuller for longer.
Vegetable broth and spring onions
The vegetable broth and thinly sliced green onions enhance the flavor of this dish while providing a number of health benefits. Vegetable broth is low in calories and can help with hydration. It also contains vitamins and minerals, including potassium and vitamin C. Spring onions, on the other hand, provide important nutrients such as vitamin K, folic acid and vitamin C and are also rich in fiber.
Not only are cherry tomatoes vibrant and delicious, but they also offer a number of health benefits. They are a great source of vitamins A and C, which support a strong immune system and promote healthy skin. In addition, they are rich in antioxidants such as lycopene, which may help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
Mozzarella and Gorgonzola
Both mozzarella and gorgonzola cheeses contribute to the rich and creamy filling of the stuffed peppers. Mozzarella is a good source of protein and calcium, which are essential for healthy bones and muscles. Gorgonzola, a blue cheese, contains probiotics that support a healthy gut and can aid digestion.
parsley and basil
The handful of chopped parsley and basil not only add freshness and flavor, but also provide additional health benefits. These herbs are rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as antioxidants. They have anti-inflammatory properties and may contribute to better heart health.
Red and yellow peppers
The star of the dish, the red and yellow peppers, are not only visually appealing but also packed with nutrients. Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C, providing more than double the recommended daily allowance in just one medium-sized pepper. They are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion, and contain compounds with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, Barbie’s Stuffed Peppers provide a tasty and healthy meal that the whole family can enjoy. So fire up the grill and enjoy the benefits of this delicious dish!