We present you our delicious recipe for stuffed jacket potatoes! This irresistible baked potato dish is not only delicious, but also perfect for getting the little ones involved. With easy-to-follow instructions, it’s an excellent opportunity to teach children the joy of cooking. You’ll love getting hands-on, filling the potatoes with your favorite ingredients and waiting eagerly for the oven to do its magic. From the fluffy potato interior to the crispy skin, the end result is simply sublime. Get ready to enjoy these comforting and customizable stuffed jacket potatoes that the whole family will enjoy!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 100g strong cheddar, grated, plus a little more for garnish
- 100g sweetcorn
- 100g mixed peppers, diced
- small handful of fresh herbs, such as oregano, basil, coriander, dill or thyme
- Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and bake the potatoes for about 1 hour, until cooked through and the skin is crispy. Allow to cool completely. This can be done up to 2 days in advance.
- To fill the jacket potatoes, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Ask an adult to cut the potatoes in half.
- Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the middle of the potato, leaving the skin intact (like a boat). Place the scooped potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the potato with a fork until there are no lumps left. Add cheese, corn and peppers and mix well.
- Carefully pick the leaves from the herbs. You can tear the larger leaves into smaller pieces. Stir the herbs into the cheese and potato mixture.
- Use the spoon to carefully scoop the mixture back into the potato boats. Make sure you use all of the mixture. Sprinkle with some grated cheese and place on a baking tray.
- Using oven mitts, place the tray in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Equipment and tools
- Sharp knife
- mixing bowl
This recipe contains dairy products.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover stuffed jacket potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be reheated in the microwave or oven.
The health benefits of stuffed jacket potatoes
When it comes to home cooking, stuffed jacket potatoes are an absolute favorite. Not only are they delicious and filling, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, these stuffed potatoes can be a great addition to your diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits they offer:
1. Rich in fiber
The medium potatoes used in this recipe are an excellent source of fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system and promoting regular bowel movements. It can also help control cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugar levels and aid in weight control.
2. Excellent source of vitamins and minerals
Stuffed jacket potatoes are loaded with a variety of nutrient-dense ingredients. The strong cheddar cheese provides a good amount of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. The sweet corn and mixed peppers provide valuable vitamins such as vitamin C, which supports the immune system, and vitamin A, which is important for vision and skin health. Fresh herbs like oregano, basil, coriander, dill or thyme not only add flavor, but also provide powerful antioxidants and additional vitamins and minerals.
3. Antioxidant power
Incorporating fresh herbs into this recipe provides an additional antioxidant boost. Antioxidants protect our cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers. These herbs also contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body.
4. Reduced sodium content
By making stuffed jacket potatoes at home, you have control over the ingredients used. This allows you to reduce sodium content compared to store-bought options. Excessive sodium intake is linked to high blood pressure and an increased risk of heart disease. If you choose homemade stuffed jacket potatoes, you can limit the amount of salt you add and choose ingredients that are naturally low in sodium.
In summary, stuffed jacket potatoes not only taste heavenly, but also offer a number of health benefits. From providing essential fiber and a variety of vitamins and minerals to antioxidant benefits and reducing sodium intake, these potatoes are a healthy and nutritious choice. Try this recipe and enjoy a filling meal that nourishes your body!