Do you want to impress your guests with a visually impressive dish? Our recipe for stuffed zucchini flowers is just right for you. Although it can be a bit complicated, the end result is truly stunning. Delicately filled with a creamy ricotta mixture and served with a delicious tomato dressing, these stuffed zucchini flowers are a feast for the eyes and taste buds. Perfect for a special occasion or an exquisite dinner party, these flavorful and elegant appetizers are sure to leave a lasting impression.
- 8 zucchini flowers, with small zucchini attached
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 large egg
- 100g plain flour
- a pinch of baking soda
- 200 ml ice water
- 250g can of ricotta
- 150 g soft goat cheese block
- Zest 1 lemon
- ½ red chili pepper, finely chopped
- small handful of mint leaves, chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
1. To make the dough, whisk together the egg, flour and bicarb in a wide bowl.
2. Gradually pour in the ice water, stirring constantly, until a smooth dough with the consistency of double cream is formed.
3. Set the dough aside.
4. In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling with some spices until everything is well mixed.
5. Set the filling aside.
6. For the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a third bowl and season with some spices.
7. Set the dressing aside.
8. Carefully open each flower and remove the stamen if present.
9. Place a spoonful of filling into each flower.
10. Close the flower by twisting the ends of the petals to seal them.
11. Heat a deep fryer to 180°C. (If you don’t have a deep fryer, see right.)
12. Dip the flowers into the batter in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
13. Fry for 2 minutes, then carefully turn over with a slotted spoon and fry for another 2 minutes until crispy.
14. Drain the fried flowers on kitchen paper and leave them in a warm place.
15. Sprinkle the fried flowers with a little salt.
16. Serve 2 flowers on each plate.
17. Place the dressing in a circle around the outside of the plate.
Equipment and tools
To make stuffed zucchini flowers you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
The stuffed zucchini flowers recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Wheat flour)
- Dairy products (ricotta and goat cheese)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To reheat the stuffed zucchini flowers, preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
Stuffed zucchini flowers are not only a delicious appetizer or side dish, but they also come with a number of health benefits. From the nutrients of zucchini flowers to the combination of ricotta, goat cheese and fresh herbs, this recipe offers a healthy and nutritious culinary experience. Let’s explore the health benefits of stuffed zucchini flowers and why you should consider adding them to your diet.
Nutritional value of zucchini flowers
Zucchini flowers are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamins A, C and K, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin, strengthening the immune system and supporting blood clotting. These flowers are also rich in various antioxidants that protect the body from harmful free radicals.
Stuffed zucchini flowers offer a tasty and filling dish without piling on the calories. With just 8 zucchini flowers, a small amount of sunflower oil for frying, and the other ingredients used in the filling, this recipe remains a relatively low-calorie option compared to heavier entrees or fried dishes.
Protein and calcium from ricotta and goat cheese
The stuffed zucchini flower filling is made with ricotta and soft goat cheese, which provides a creamy texture and a boost of protein and calcium. Protein is an essential nutrient that supports muscle building, aids in tissue repair, and contributes to a healthy immune system. Calcium, on the other hand, plays a crucial role in maintaining strong bones and teeth.
Vitamins and antioxidants from fresh herbs and tomatoes
Incorporating fresh herbs like mint into the filling provides additional health benefits. Mint leaves contain antioxidants that fight inflammation and aid digestion. Tomatoes, also used in the filling, are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as lycopene, a powerful antioxidant known to reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Heart-healthy olive oil
Olive oil drizzled over the stuffed zucchini flowers is a heart-healthy addition to this recipe. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which, when consumed as part of a balanced diet, can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
With their combination of nutritious ingredients and the numerous health benefits they bring, stuffed zucchini flowers are a tasty and nutritious dish to add to your cooking repertoire. Whether served as a tasty appetizer or as part of a larger meal, these stuffed zucchini flowers are sure to delight your taste buds while providing a range of essential nutrients to support your overall well-being.