Citrusy and sweet with a bit of heat, this new take on berries with balsamic and pepper is a refreshing and indulgent treat. The combination of strawberries, lime and long pepper syrup creates a vibrant and enticing flavor profile. The tangy lime adds a touch of citrus freshness, while the long pepper syrup adds a subtle hint of spice. Best served with a dollop of creamy goodness, this dessert will satisfy your cravings for sweet and spicy flavors. Treat yourself to this exquisite culinary creation and take your berry experience to a new level!
- 2 limes
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- 5 medium “long” peppercorns, one crushed and the rest left whole (or use 2 teaspoons crushed black peppercorns)
- 450g ripe strawberries, peeled and halved or quartered if large
- Vanilla or coconut ice cream for serving
Looks more like a little black kitten, long
Peppercorns have a fiery heat
with a strong citrus and sweet mixture
Spice notes. You can find them in spice shops,
or try it online.
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut the zest of a lime into long strips.
- Remove any white skin from the back of the peel (this can make it bitter).
- Place the peel in a medium sized pan.
- Squeeze both limes and add the juice to the pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water, the sugar and the crushed and whole peppercorns to the pan.
- Heat gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Cook the mixture and then remove it from the heat.
- Distribute the strawberries in a serving bowl.
- Pour the hot syrup over the strawberries.
- Allow the strawberries and syrup to cool.
- As it cools, the syrup will turn pink.
- Serve the dish at room temperature.
- Accompany the strawberries with scoops of ice cream.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- Juicer or citrus press
- wooden spoon
- Serving bowls or glasses
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The strawberries release some juice, but can also be enjoyed as a syrup. The dish is best enjoyed fresh, but you can keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. The syrup may thicken slightly as it cools, so you can gently reheat it before serving if necessary.
Health Benefits of Strawberries with Lime and Long Pepper Syrup
Not only are strawberries delicious, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Combined with lime and long pepper syrup, this dessert will not only be a culinary delight, but also a nutritious addition to your diet.
1. Vitamin C boost
Both strawberries and limes are excellent sources of vitamin C. A single serving of strawberries provides more than 100% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which is critical for immune function, collagen production and antioxidant protection in the body. Lime juice gives the dish an extra dose of this vital vitamin.
2. Antioxidant powerhouse
Strawberries are known for their high antioxidant content, particularly compounds called anthocyanins. These antioxidants help protect the body from free radical damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Lime also contributes to the antioxidant profile of this dessert with its citric acid.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
Long pepper, with its fiery spiciness and unique flavor, contains a compound called piperlongumine, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. Eating long pepper can help reduce inflammation in the body and lower the risk of inflammatory diseases.
4. Digestive aid
The combination of strawberries and lime can support digestive health. Strawberries are a good source of fiber, which adds bulk to your stool and promotes regular bowel movements. Lime juice, on the other hand, contains citric acid, which aids digestion by stimulating the production of digestive enzymes.
5. Weight management
Strawberries are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a good choice for weight management. The fiber contained in strawberries helps you feel fuller for longer and prevents overeating. Additionally, strawberries are a healthier alternative to sugary desserts due to their natural sweetness.
Enjoy your strawberries with lime and long pepper syrup guilt-free, knowing that you are not only treating yourself to a delicious dessert, but also reaping the health benefits it offers.