Bake a batch of these sweet German Stollen Spirals over Christmas and enjoy them for breakfast or tea time… or both. These delicious rolls are made from a rich buttery dough and filled with a heavenly blend of dried fruits, nuts and spices. The scent of cinnamon and cloves will enchant your home as they bake until golden brown in the oven. Every bite is an explosion of sweet and spicy flavors, perfectly complemented by a light dusting of powdered sugar. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a truly enjoyable holiday treat that is guaranteed to bring warmth and joy.
- Zest of 1 orange, plus ½ juice
- 4 tbsp Cointreau
- 85g dried cranberries
- 85g mixed dried fruits
- 550 g strong white bread flour, plus some flour for kneading
- 2 x 7g bags of Easy-Bake dry yeast
- 85g golden powdered sugar
- good grated nutmeg
- 85g butter, plus some butter for the tin
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml warm milk
- Sunflower oil for the bowl
- 25g pistachios, chopped
- 300g golden marzipan
- Melted butter and powdered sugar or powdered sugar mixed with a little water, chopped pistachios if desired
- In a small bowl, combine zest and juice, Cointreau, cranberries and mixed fruit. Allow to soak.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, powdered sugar and nutmeg.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and rub with the butter.
- Whisk the egg into the warm milk and then pour it into the flour mixture.
- Stir with a round-bladed knife and knead the mixture into a soft dough with your hands.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it for a few minutes. If necessary, add a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Oil the bowl, return the dough and cover with cling film. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Line and grease a large roasting tin with baking paper.
- Roll out the risen dough tightly into a long strip about 70 x 18 cm.
- Add the pistachios to the soaked fruit and then spread the mixture over the dough.
- Roll the marzipan into a sausage the same length as the longest side of the dough, then place it in the center of the dough and roll it up tightly to resemble a sausage roll.
- Trim the ends of the dough, then cut the rest into even lengths and place them in the pan, cut side up.
- Cover the pan with cling film and let it rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the dough has risen well.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Bake the Stollen spirals for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- They can be frozen for up to 6 weeks.
- Brush the spirals with melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or mix a little water into the powdered sugar and drizzle on top. Add a pinch of nuts.
- Enjoy the Stollen spirals within 2 days.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- baking tray
- rolling pin
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bread knife
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, milk)
- Nuts (pistachios)
Please ensure that all ingredients used are suitable for your dietary restrictions and allergies.
Storage and leftovers
After baking, store the Stollen spirals in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
If there is any leftover, you can enjoy it the next day by reheating it in the oven or toasting it. Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle with chopped pistachios for extra flavor.
Health benefits of Stollen spirals
Health benefits of Stollen spirals
Rich in vitamins and nutrients
Stollen spirals are packed with ingredients that offer various health benefits. The presence of orange peel and juice provides a good amount of vitamin C, which helps strengthen the immune system, promotes collagen synthesis and acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from free radical damage.
Additionally, the dried cranberries and mixed dried fruits in the recipe provide a number of important vitamins and minerals. These fruits are rich in fiber, vitamins A and K, potassium and antioxidants that contribute to overall health and well-being.
Source of energy and protein
The combination of strong white bread flour, golden powdered sugar, butter and eggs provides a good source of energy. These ingredients are rich in carbohydrates, which are essential for fueling the body and supporting physical activities.
In addition, the addition of pistachios to the recipe increases the protein content of the Stollen spirals. Protein is essential for repairing and building tissue, supporting the immune system, and promoting satiety.
Beneficial for digestive health
Including warm milk in the recipe helps improve digestion. Milk contains lactose, a natural sugar that supports the growth of beneficial gut bacteria. It also provides calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth.
Additionally, the fiber content in dried cranberries and mixed dried fruits supports healthy digestion. Fiber adds bulk to stools, promotes regular bowel movements, and helps prevent constipation.
A touch of celebration and joy
Although Stollen spirals offer various health benefits, they also bring joy and a festive mood to any occasion. The golden marzipan filling combined with the flavors of orange, cranberries and mixed dried fruits creates a delicious treat that can lift the mood and evoke a feeling of celebration.
Enjoy Stollen Spirals as a delicious addition to your holiday gatherings or as a special treat during the holidays!