A lighter version of sticky toffee pudding, rich in dates and warming spices, this vegan dessert is a delicious treat that appeals to many people. The delicious texture of poached pears adds a juicy touch to the dish and ensures a perfect balance of flavors. The sweetness of the toffee sauce beautifully complements the natural sweetness of the fruit, making every bite irresistible. Made without animal products, this dessert is not only delicious but also suitable for vegans. Treat yourself to this delicious pudding and let its soothing and delicious taste leave you wanting more.
- 8 small, firm pears (we used Conference)
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 1 lemon, peeled off
- 1 orange, peel peeled off
- vegan ice cream for serving (optional)
- 250 g pitted dates
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 300 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 200 ml vegetable oil, plus a little oil for greasing
- 175g dark muscovado sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda?
- 1 tsp ground spice mixture
- Peel the pears and cut the bottom off each to create a flat base – cut to a height that will fit snugly into your tin.
- Using a melon baller or small knife, cut the seeds out of the base.
- Roughly chop the leftover pears, remove the seeds and set aside.
- Place sugar, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, zest and 600ml water in a saucepan large enough to fit all the pears.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the pears to the pot, cover with a lid or a piece of baking paper and poach gently for 15 minutes or until a knife slides easily into the pear.
- Allow the pears to cool in the liquid.
- Prepare the sponge cake by putting the dates and flaxseeds in a saucepan and adding the almond milk.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, then cook until the dates are soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add the oil and mix again, then transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a 20 x 30 cm baking tin (preferably with a loose bottom) and line it with a strip of baking paper.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl along with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Mix well and break up any lumps of sugar with your fingers.
- Shake the bowl a few times to bring any remaining lumps to the surface.
- Add the date and oil mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the chopped pear residue.
- Scrape the cake mix into the pan.
- Place the pears upright in the cake mixture, covering the bottom halves.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake is baked through.
- Insert a skewer into the center of the cake to check for doneness – it should come out clean.
- If there is still wet cake mix on the skewer, place the cake back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Then check it again.
- Meanwhile, bring the pear poaching liquid back to the boil and simmer until a glossy syrup forms.
- Once the pudding is cooked, let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Brush the pudding all over with the syrup, leaving some to serve with.
- Serve with vegan ice cream if desired.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- Cooling rack
This sticky toffee pear pudding recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten (from self-raising flour)
- Soy (possible traces in vegetable oil)
- Nuts (from almond milk)
Please review the specific products you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The sticky toffee pear pudding will keep for up to 3 days. To reheat, you can either heat individual portions in the microwave or warm in the oven.
Health Benefits of Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding
Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding not only satisfies your sweet tooth, but also offers several health benefits thanks to its nutritious ingredients. Here are some reasons why you can enjoy this delicious dessert guilt-free:
1. Pears for fiber and antioxidants
Each serving of Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding contains 8 small, firm pears. Pears are a rich source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight by promoting satiety. They’re also packed with antioxidants, which protect your body from inflammation and oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
2. Flaxseed for omega-3 fatty acids
This recipe contains 2 tablespoons of flaxseed, also called flaxseed. Flaxseeds are a great vegetarian source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health, reducing inflammation and improving heart health. Regular consumption of flaxseed can also help lower cholesterol and support digestive health.
3. Almond milk for calcium and vitamin E
With 300ml of unsweetened almond milk, Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding offers a dairy-free alternative that is low in calories and high in nutrients. Almond milk is an excellent source of calcium, which is crucial for strong bones and teeth. It also contains vitamin E, an antioxidant that supports healthy skin and protects cells from damage.
4. Dark muscovado sugar for trace minerals
Dark muscovado sugar, which weighs 175g in this recipe, contains more nutrients than refined white sugar. It contains some natural molasses and provides small amounts of essential minerals such as iron, calcium and potassium. However, it is important to consume dark muscovado sugar in moderation as it is still a high calorie sweetener.
5. Dates for natural sweetness and fiber
Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding is sweetened with 250g of pitted dates, a healthy alternative to refined sugar. Dates are a natural source of sweetness and full of fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and promote a healthy digestive system. They are also rich in minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
6. Spice blend for flavor and antioxidants
This pudding contains a spice blend of cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves and ground spice blends. These spices not only provide a wonderful aroma and taste, but are also rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants play an important role in protecting your cells from oxidative damage caused by harmful free radicals.
7. Baking soda for digestive support
With 1 teaspoon of baking soda, this recipe ensures a light and fluffy pudding consistency. In addition, baking soda can act as a natural antacid and occasionally relieve heartburn and indigestion, which has a positive effect on digestive health.
In summary, Sticky Toffee Pear Pudding offers a combination of delicious flavors and health-promoting ingredients. It is a dessert that allows you to enjoy a sweet treat while benefiting from some nutritional benefits. So, enjoy every bite without feeling guilty!