This delicious Sticky Pear & Ginger Cake recipe is the perfect mix of two classic desserts. Infused with the warmth of ginger and the rich sweetness of sticky toffee pudding, this cake is a real treat for the taste buds. The best way to enjoy it is to serve it warm and combine it with a generous scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cream. This creates a heavenly dessert that will leave everyone wanting more.
- 250 g pitted dates, finely chopped
- 300 ml milk
- 100g butter, plus some butter for the tin
- 140g ginger jam (you can find this in the jams)
- 140g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 large ripe pears (we used Conference)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g pecans, reserve 10 of them and chop the rest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp spice mixture
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 150 ml brandy
- Place the chopped dates in a pan with milk, butter, ginger jam and dark muscovado. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the mixture begins to bubble around the edges of the pan.
- Stir well and set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas. 4. Line the bottom of a buttered 23cm springform pan with baking paper.
- Peel the pears and cut them into large pieces.
- Mix the flour, chopped pecans and bicarb with the spices.
- Stir the flour mixture with the eggs into the cooled date mixture.
- Pour the dough into the mold and distribute the chopped pears on top.
- Roughly break the remaining pecans and add them to the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then cover the top loosely with foil and return to the oven for a further 25-30 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center contains only sticky crumbs – the cake may still look a little moist around the pears.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the brandy syrup.
- Put the light muscovado sugar in a saucepan with 50 ml of water and dissolve it until syrupy over low heat.
- Stir in the brandy and set aside.
- When the cake is ready, spoon a spoonful over half of the syrup and then allow the cake to cool before serving with additional syrup on the side.
- To freeze, allow the cake to cool in the tin, then wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost and warm in a low oven.
- The syrup can be frozen separately, warmed and then drizzled on top as before.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- wooden spoon
- Round cake pan (greased with butter)
- Cooling rack
This sticky pear and ginger cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
- Tree nuts (pecans)
Storage and leftovers
After the Sticky Pear & Ginger Cake has cooled completely, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days. To enjoy the cake for longer, you can also freeze it for up to 1 month. Remember to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer-safe container before freezing.
Health Benefits of Sticky Pear Ginger Cake
When it comes to indulging in desserts, it doesn’t always mean you have to sacrifice your health. The Sticky Pear & Ginger Cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers some notable health benefits:
Dates, one of the main ingredients in this recipe, are rich in fiber. Fiber aids digestion, helps regulate blood sugar levels, and promotes satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
Pears provide a good amount of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and promotes collagen production for healthy skin. They are also a great source of fiber, which can aid digestion and help maintain bowel function.
Ginger has long been used for its medicinal properties. It contains gingerol, a bioactive compound with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Ginger can help relieve muscle pain, improve digestion, and boost the immune system.
Pecans offer numerous health benefits. They’re packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that can help lower bad cholesterol. Pecans also contain antioxidants, fiber and minerals such as magnesium and zinc.
Although brandy is an alcoholic drink, it is worth noting that a small amount is used in this recipe. Moderate consumption of alcohol, such as brandy, has been linked to potential health benefits, including a lower risk of heart disease and improved blood circulation.
By using these healthy ingredients, the Sticky Pear & Ginger Cake can offer a healthier alternative to traditional desserts without compromising on taste.