Treat yourself to the irresistible charm of our sticky ginger nut cake that will satisfy your sweet cravings. This tempting dessert will tantalize your taste buds with its delicious sticky texture and rich ginger flavor. Incredibly juicy and enriched with the warming spice of ginger, this cake is pure enjoyment. A heavenly treat on its own, this delicious treat reaches new levels of perfection when topped with a generous helping of velvety cream. Let yourself be enchanted as every bite takes you on a journey of pure enjoyment!
- 200g plain flour
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 100 g butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- finely grated peel of 1 orange
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 100g pack of halved pecans or walnuts
- 85g ginger stalks in syrup (from a jar), roughly chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 284 ml carton sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bought Cointreau cream
- fresh orange segments
- Ginger syrup from the jar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Brush a round ring tin (23 cm) with butter.
- Mix flour, muscovado sugar and butter in a bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub the ingredients together until crumbly and completely combined.
- Stir in the grated orange peel and ground ginger.
- Scatter half of the nuts and half of the chopped ginger stalk on the bottom of the ring pan.
- Break the remaining nuts into small pieces and mix them into the crumb mixture with the remaining stem ginger.
- Measure out 100g of the crumb mixture and add it to the tin over the nuts.
- Add the baking soda to the remaining crumb mixture.
- Mix the sour cream and egg, then stir into the remaining crumb mixture.
- Pour this batter over the crumbs in the mold (it should fill the mold quite high).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake has risen and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest for 10 minutes, then remove it from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, wrap it in foil and freeze it for up to 2 months.
- When the cake is ready to use, let it thaw at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Serve the cake in thin slices with a dollop of Cointreau cream, orange pieces and a drizzle of syrup from the jar of ginger stems.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- 23cm round cake tin
- baking paper
This sticky ginger nut cake contains the following allergens:
- Nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Dairy products (butter, sour cream)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover sticky ginger nut cake, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can also store the cake in the refrigerator for up to a week. To enjoy it again, simply bring it to room temperature or warm it slightly in the microwave before serving.
Health Benefits of Sticky Ginger Nut Cake
The sticky ginger nut cake not only satisfies your taste buds with its sweet and spicy flavors but also offers several health benefits. Thanks to the combination of nutritious ingredients, this cake can be enjoyed guilt-free. Let’s look at some of its health benefits:
1. Good source of fiber
Including pure flour in the recipe ensures a good amount of fiber. Fiber supports digestion, promotes regular bowel movements and helps prevent constipation. It also contributes to a feeling of satiety, which can help maintain a healthy weight.
2. Rich in antioxidants
The orange peel and ginger in this recipe contain antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals. These harmful molecules can contribute to chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, reduce oxidative stress and support overall health.
3. Nutrient-rich nuts
This cake contains pecans or walnuts which are full of essential nutrients. These nuts are a great source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. They also provide important minerals such as magnesium and zinc. Incorporating them into your diet can promote heart health and help maintain optimal brain function.
4. Digestive aid
Ginger, both ground and stem ginger in syrup, is known for its digestive properties. Ginger can help relieve digestive problems such as nausea and indigestion. It also possesses anti-inflammatory properties and can potentially reduce inflammation in the body.
5. Strengthens immunity
The addition of sour cream, which is rich in probiotics, supports gut health and boosts the immune system. A healthy gut promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria, improving the body’s ability to fight harmful pathogens and infections.
6. Energizing and mood-enhancing
The combination of ginger, orange peel and Cointreau cream creates an explosion of flavor that can provide an instant boost of energy and lift your mood. Ginger is known for its invigorating properties, while oranges contain vitamin C, which supports energy production and mood regulation.
Enjoy this delicious sticky ginger nut cake not only for its amazing taste but also for the health benefits it offers. Remember to consume it in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Indulge in this delicious treat and let your taste buds and body enjoy the goodness it offers!