Indulge in the deliciousness of our sticky stem ginger cake that promises to impress all taste buds. Baked to perfection, this irresistible treat has a moist and gooey texture that will leave you wanting more. Each bite reveals a delicious balance of zesty ginger and buttery sweetness. But the decadence doesn’t stop there – we topped it off with a tangy lemon glaze that perfectly complements the warm flavors. Whether for a special occasion or simply as a leisurely afternoon treat, this cake is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. Get ready to experience pure bliss!
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground spice mixture
- 115g butter, cut into cubes, plus a little butter for greasing
- 115g dark muscovado sugar
- 115g black treacle
- 115g golden syrup
- 250 ml whole milk
- 85 g drained ginger, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 50g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to fan 160°C/fan 180°C/gas. 4. Butter a 7cm deep round cake tin and place baking paper or parchment paper on top.
- Place flour, baking soda and all spices in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Place sugar, treacle, treacle and milk in a medium saucepan and heat, stirring gently, until sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat and bring the mixture just below boiling point.
- Add the stem ginger to the flour mixture, then pour in the syrup mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon. Crack in the egg and beat until the entire mixture is combined and resembles a thick pancake batter. Pour this into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out reasonably clean. Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning it out of the tin. (To freeze: Wrap in parchment paper and then plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 1 month.)
- To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon zest and then gradually add lemon juice until you have a smooth, slightly runny glaze. Add more juice if necessary. Drizzle the frosting over the surface of the cake in a zigzag pattern, flip the cake over and drizzle again to create the cross-hatched surface (see below). The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Round cake tin
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Table knife
This sticky ginger cake with lemon glaze contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
Please note that this recipe may also come into contact with other common allergens during preparation. It is important to check individual ingredients and take necessary precautions if you have food allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the sticky sticky ginger cake with lemon glaze in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It is best to place baking paper between the cake layers to prevent sticking.
The lemon glaze can be refrigerated separately in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Before serving a leftover cake, you can freshen it up by briefly warming individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds or gently warming it in the oven on low until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Ginger Cake with Sticky Stems and Lemon Glaze
Sticky Stem Ginger Cake Recipe with Lemon Glaze will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide various health benefits. Let’s explore some of the key ingredients and their positive contribution to your well-being:
Ginger, a prized spice known for its strong flavor and aroma, is also valued for its numerous health benefits. The ground ginger used in this recipe gives the cake a warm and slightly spicy flavor. Ginger contains gingerol, a bioactive compound with powerful anti-inflammatory properties that may help relieve muscle pain and soreness. It also has antioxidant and antimicrobial effects that can support immune function and help fight infections.
The addition of ground cinnamon not only enhances the taste of the cake but also contributes to its healthiness. Cinnamon is rich in antioxidants and is associated with lower blood sugar levels and improved insulin sensitivity. Studies suggest that cinnamon may help regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for those with diabetes or those at risk of developing the disease.
The combination of lemon zest and lemon juice in the icing gives the cake a refreshing and tangy touch. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system and helps protect against oxidative stress. In addition, vitamin C supports collagen synthesis, which promotes healthy skin and wound healing.
The recipe calls for whole milk, which provides important nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D and protein. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while vitamin D supports calcium absorption. Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair and also helps you feel full and satisfied after eating the cake.
Muscovado sugar and treacle
Although the cake contains dark muscovado sugar and black treacle, it’s important to note that the recipe only uses a moderate amount of these sweeteners. Still, it’s worth noting that dark muscovado sugar contains more molasses than other types of sugar and contains a small amount of minerals such as calcium, iron, and potassium. Treacle, a byproduct of sugar cane refining, also contains small amounts of minerals.
Adding an egg to cake batter not only adds to its consistency but also provides important nutrients. Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin B12, which supports the nervous system, and choline, a nutrient important for brain function and development.
When you treat yourself to this delicious ginger cake with sticky stems and lemon icing, you can enjoy its delicious taste while benefiting from the various nutrients and health benefits that its healthy ingredients offer.