Treat yourself to the irresistible Roast Chicken with Sticky Chili and Rice Salad, a delicious dish that effortlessly combines simplicity with a touch of glamour. The juicy pieces of chicken, coated in a tempting sticky sauce, will leave you wanting more. The salsa on the side adds a touch of freshness and perfectly complements the richness of the chicken. Combined with the refreshing rice salad, this dish is an absolute winner for any casual gathering or elegant event. Serve it up and watch your guests’ taste buds dance with joy as they savor every bite of this delicious feast.
- 6 large, whole pieces of skin-on chicken thighs, cut into drumsticks and thighs
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste (I used Discovery)
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1 lime
- 2 onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed flat
- 1 mild red chili pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 200 ml chicken broth
- 400g basmati wild rice mix (we used Tilda)
- 400g canned black beans (or use pinto or black eye beans), rinsed and drained
- 285g can sweetcorn, drained (niblets have the crispiest consistency)
- Bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons apple or rice wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- a handful of coriander
Chunky pumpkin wedges
Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas. 6. Cutting
Cut 2 butternut squash into large wedges,
Leave the skins on, but remove them
seeds. Mix with 3 tablespoons of oil, then roast
Bake for 1 hour until golden brown and soft, then sprinkle with toppings
some smoked paprika or chili powder,
Sea salt and pepper 15 minutes before serving.Pomegranate avocado salsa
1 red onion finely chopped, 1 peeled,
seeded cucumber, 2 avocados and
1 deseeded red chili pepper. Mix in a bowl
Seed 1 pomegranate, then loosen it
Juice 1 lime and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Oil. Can be prepared up to a day in advance
chilled. Season and mix before serving
with a handful of crushed mint leaves.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the chicken in a plastic bag with 2 tablespoons chipotle paste, all the ground cilantro, 1 tablespoon oil, a pinch of lime, and a pinch of black pepper.
- Marinate for 30 minutes (up to 24 hours).
- Place in a roasting tin, scatter the onions over the top, drizzle with a little more oil, then roast for 1 hour until the chicken is dark golden and crispy on top.
- After 30 minutes, stick the garlic around the chicken.
- Remove the chicken and onions from the tin and place on a large plate.
- Set the oven to low and keep the chicken warm uncovered.
- Place the dish on the heat, spoon off any excess fat, then add most of the chillies and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in sugar, tomato puree and remaining chipotle paste.
- Add the broth and simmer until a sticky sauce forms, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and another squeeze of lime juice.
- (The chicken will keep in an open oven at a low temperature for up to half an hour. You can also transfer the sauce to a pot and reheat.)
- To serve, pour the sauce and garlic over and around the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining chilies.
- Serve with rice salad, salsa and wedges.
- To make the rice salad, rinse the rice in a colander until the water runs clear, then cook for 15 minutes until just tender.
- Drain in a colander, rinse under cold water to cool quickly, then drain well and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add beans, corn and spring onions.
- For the dressing, mix honey, cumin, vinegar and oil, season and then mix into the salad.
- When you prepare it, cool it.
- Shortly before serving, chop and fold in the coriander.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- wooden spoon
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Black beans
Please note that the allergens listed are based on the ingredients used in this recipe. If you have a known allergy, please check your ingredient labels or consult a doctor.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to save leftover fried chicken with sticky chili and rice salad:
- Allow the chicken and rice salad to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating, be sure to heat the chicken and rice salad thoroughly until it is piping hot.
The Health Benefits of Fried Chicken with Sticky Chili and Rice Salad
Roast chicken with sticky chili and rice salad is not only a delicious and flavorful dish but also offers numerous health benefits. From protein-packed chicken to nutritious vegetables, this recipe is a great addition to a balanced diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious dish:
Chicken is a fantastic source of lean protein, which plays an important role in building and repairing tissue. It also helps promote satiety, making it a great weight management option. Additionally, chicken is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B6 and B12, zinc and selenium, which support a healthy immune system.
2. Chipotle paste
Chipotle paste not only adds a smoky and spicy flavor to the dish but also provides health benefits. Chipotle peppers are a great source of antioxidants, especially capsaicin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and can help improve digestion.
Ground coriander not only gives the dish a special taste, but also offers a number of health benefits. Coriander has been used in traditional medicine for centuries for its digestive properties and can help regulate blood sugar levels. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium.
4. Olive oil
Olive oil is a healthy fat rich in monounsaturated fatty acids. It has been linked to numerous health benefits, including reduced inflammation, improved heart health, and better blood sugar control. The olive oil in this recipe helps give the dish a rich and smooth texture.
5. Black beans
Black beans are a great source of plant-based protein and are high in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy gut. They also contain antioxidants and essential minerals such as iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
Sweet corn is not only delicious but also nutritious. It is packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, folic acid and potassium. Sweet corn is also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
7. Green onions
Spring onions add a fresh and flavorful touch to the dish and offer various health benefits. They are a great source of vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin and a strong immune system. Green onions also contain antioxidants, including quercetin and sulfur compounds, which have been linked to potential anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your diet with this Roast Chicken with Sticky Chili and Rice Salad recipe, you can enjoy a delicious meal while fueling your body with essential nutrients. So why not try this tasty and healthy dish today?