Chinese dishes don’t necessarily have to be eaten from the take-away bag – this special fish dish is ideal as a dinner for two. Steamed Sea Bass with Black Bean Sauce is an exquisite combination of tender, flaky fish and savory umami flavors. The tender sea bass is steamed to perfection while retaining its natural goodness and moist texture. The rich and flavorful black bean sauce adds depth and complexity to every bite. Serve with steamed rice and a side of stir-fried vegetables for a complete and filling meal that will transport you to the busy streets of China.
- 1 sea bass, frontal, gutted
- 2cm piece of ginger, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine
- cooked jasmine rice for serving
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed with the back of a spoon (or use 100g black bean sauce instead)
- 1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small handful of coriander, leaves picked
- Wash the fish under cold running water.
- Pat dry with kitchen paper, then cut 3-4 slits into the skin on both sides.
- Season all over with salt and ground white pepper.
- Place ginger slices in the slits of the fish and in the cavity.
- Place the fish on a plate that will fit in your wok.
- Place a pudding bowl upside down in your wok and pour water halfway up.
- Place the wok on the stove and bring the water to a boil.
- Pour the rice wine over the fish.
- Place the plate on the upturned bowl and place the lid of the wok on top.
- Steam over high heat for 8-9 minutes, then let it rest.
- While the fish is cooking, prepare the black bean sauce.
- Add the peanut oil to a hot wok or frying pan.
- When it starts to smoke, add garlic, ginger and beans (or use 100g of ready-made black bean sauce) and fry for a few seconds.
- Add rice wine, sesame oil and light soy sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully remove the fish (you can leave it on the plate you prepared it on).
- Garnish with spring onions and cilantro.
- Drizzle with the black bean sauce and serve with rice.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Steam boat
This Steamed Sea Bass with Black Bean Sauce contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, steam the fish for a few minutes until warmed through. Serve with freshly cooked jasmine rice.
The Health Benefits of Steamed Sea Bass with Black Bean Sauce
Sea bass is a highly nutritious fish that offers numerous health benefits. Combined with the unique flavors of black bean sauce, steamed sea bass becomes a delicious and healthy dish that everyone can enjoy.
1. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Sea bass is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain function and heart health. These healthy fats can help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and protect against cardiovascular disease.
2. Rich in protein
Sea bass is a great source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue in the body. Protein is also important for maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails.
3. Packed with essential vitamins and minerals
This recipe contains ginger, which is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. These nutrients support a strong immune system, improve digestion and promote general well-being.
4. Contains antioxidants
Black beans are known for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, which can damage cells and contribute to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
5. Low calorie
Choosing steamed sea bass as your cooking method helps reduce calorie intake since steaming requires little to no additional fats. This makes it a suitable option for anyone watching their calorie intake or trying to maintain a healthy weight.
How to prepare steamed sea bass with black bean sauce
To prepare this healthy and delicious dish, first steam the sea bass along with ginger and Shaohsing rice wine. While the fish is steaming, prepare the black bean sauce by heating peanut oil in a pan, sautéing garlic and grated ginger until fragrant, then adding fermented black beans (or black bean sauce), Shaohsing rice wine, toasted sesame oil and light Soy sauce. Once the sauce is ready, pour it over the steamed sea bass and garnish with chopped green onions and fresh coriander leaves. Serve with cooked jasmine rice for a complete and filling meal.
Enjoy the health benefits of this steamed sea bass dish with black bean sauce while treating yourself to a flavorful dining experience!