We present you the delicious recipe “Steam pudding as desired”! This heavenly steamed pool sponge is the perfect treat that never disappoints. But what makes it even more special is that it allows you to creatively use those half-full jars of jam, syrup or preserves that often sit in our pantries. Don’t waste, don’t want! The best part? This pudding should be enjoyed piping hot, accompanied by a velvety custard that brings out its rich flavors. Treat yourself to this soothing dessert and experience pure culinary happiness!
- Butter for greasing
- Vanilla sauce for serving (optional)
- 4 tbsp jam (we used strawberry), marmalade, quark, golden syrup or chopped ginger (or 200g canned fruit, drained and roughly chopped)
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g/6oz powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Generously grease a 1.2 liter pudding tin and add the topping of your choice to the base.
- Bring a kettle of water to the boil.
- To prepare your steamer, place a snug, upside-down bowl in the bottom of a large, deep pot large enough to hold the pudding.
- Place the sponge cake ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth (but do not overwork the mixture), then add to the pudding bowl.
- Cover with a lid made of baking paper and foil and tie with string.
- Place the pudding on the upturned bowl in your pot.
- Pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the pudding bowl.
- Place on medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and allow to steam for 2½ hours. Add boiling water if the level gets too low.
- Check if the pudding is done by inserting a skewer through the foil and parchment cover into the center of the pudding.
- If there is still some wet mixture on the skewer, return the pudding to the steamer for another 15-20 minutes and then check again.
- Once the pudding is cooked, cover it and turn it out onto a plate.
- Serve immediately with vanilla sauce if desired.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the “steamed pudding as desired”, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Steamer or a large pot with a steamer attachment
- Pudding basin or a heatproof bowl
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or a wooden spoon
- Greaseproof paper or foil
- String or rubber bands
The “Steam pudding as desired” recipe contains the following allergens:
- Self-raising flour
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not mentioned. Always check the labels of ingredients used to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, you can store the As-You-Like-It Steamed Pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, steam the pudding for a few minutes or microwave individual portions until warmed through. Leftover pudding can also be frozen for up to a month. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Health Benefits of “Steamed Pudding at Will”
The As-You-Like-It Steamed Pudding is not only a delicious dessert but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritious ingredients used in this recipe:
Butter is used to grease the pudding, providing a velvety texture and rich flavor. Although butter should be consumed in moderation due to its saturated fat content, it contains important vitamins such as A, D, E and K. These vitamins contribute to healthy bones, immune function and vision.
This optional serving suggestion offers a creamy and delicious accompaniment to steamed pudding. Custard is usually made from milk, eggs and sugar. Milk provides numerous health benefits, including calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein for muscle repair, and vitamin D for calcium absorption.
3. Jam, jam, curd, golden syrup or chopped ginger
The recipe allows you to choose between various delicious additions to the pudding, such as jam, marmalade, quark, golden syrup, chopped stem ginger or canned fruit. These ingredients provide natural sweetness and give the pudding flavor. However, it is important to consume them in moderation as they can be high in sugar.
4. Butter and powdered sugar
The combination of softened butter and powdered sugar adds moisture and sweetness to the pudding. Although these ingredients enhance the flavor, due to their calorie content, it is advisable to limit their intake.
Eggs act as a binding agent in the pudding, giving it structure and helping it rise. Eggs are a rich source of high-quality protein and provide essential amino acids necessary for various body functions. They also contain vitamins like B12, which supports brain function, and riboflavin, which supports energy production.
6. Self-raising flour
Self-raising flour is the most important dry ingredient in pudding and ensures a light and fluffy consistency. Although it does not offer any significant health benefits, it is a source of carbohydrates that provides energy to the body.
To combine the ingredients together, the recipe includes a tablespoon of milk. As mentioned earlier, milk offers numerous health benefits, including calcium, protein, and vitamin D.
8. Vanilla extract
The addition of vanilla extract enhances the flavor of the pudding. Although it does not have significant nutritional value, it gives the dessert a pleasant aroma and taste.
The As-You-Like-It Steamed Pudding can be enjoyed for both its taste and the nutrients it contains. Remember to consume it in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Experiment with different topping options to make it your own!