A vibrant salad full of yellow and red peppers, colorful onions, beef cooked to your liking, and healthy grains. This delicious recipe combines perfectly grilled steak with the sweetness of roasted peppers for a delicious explosion of flavor. The addition of pearl barley adds a nutritious component and provides a hearty base to support the other ingredients. Whether you prefer your beef rare, medium, or well done, this salad will satisfy your appetite and nourish your body. Enjoy a filling and healthy meal with this refreshing and nutritious steak, roasted pepper and pearl barley salad.
- 85g pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges, leaving root intact
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little more
- 1 large lean steak, approx. 300 g, trimmed of excess fat
- ½ x 100g bag of watercress, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lemon, plus wedges for serving (optional)
- Place the pearl barley in a large pot of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook vigorously for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- Drain thoroughly and place in a bowl.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the peppers with the onion wedges on a baking sheet.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, rub the steak with a little oil and season.
- Fry in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes on each side or as desired.
- Let rest for a few minutes.
- Mix the cooked peppers and onions into the barley.
- Stir in watercress, lemon juice and some spices.
- Cut the steaks into thin slices.
- Place on top of the salad.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- baking tray
- Grill pan or grill
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
This recipe contains gluten in the form of pearl barley. It also contains olive oil. Please check the packaging of all other ingredients used to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Leftovers of this salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Be sure to separate the dressing from the salad to preserve freshness. It tastes best fresh, but you can reheat the steak and peppers if necessary.
The Health Benefits of “Steak, Roasted Pepper and Pearl Barley Salad”
The combination of steak, roasted peppers, and pearl barley in this salad not only makes for a delicious meal, but also offers numerous health benefits. Here are some of the main reasons why this dish is a good choice for your well-being:
1. Rich in protein
The main ingredient in this recipe, lean steak, is an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for various functions in the body, including muscle growth and repair, boosting metabolism, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
2. Nutrient rich
This salad is packed with nutritious ingredients. Pearl barley is a whole grain rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. It provides a good amount of magnesium, manganese and selenium, which are important for bone health and immune system support.
Bell peppers, whether red or yellow, are a great source of vitamins A and C. These vitamins act as antioxidants, protecting the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals and supporting overall immune function.
3. Heart healthy
Choosing lean cuts of steak and using olive oil in the recipe contribute to the heart-healthy nature of this salad. Lean steak is low in saturated fat, while olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats, which are known to help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
4. Weight management
Including pearl barley in this salad adds a whole grain component that can help with weight control. Whole grains are digested more slowly, keeping you feeling full longer and reducing the likelihood of overeating.
The fiber content in pearl barley also supports a healthy digestive system, promotes regular bowel movements, and helps maintain a healthy weight.
5. Antioxidant boost
The watercress included in this recipe provides an additional antioxidant boost. Watercress is rich in vitamins A, C, and E, as well as various phytonutrients that have been shown to have powerful antioxidant properties.
Antioxidants protect the body from cell damage caused by free radicals, which can lead to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
6. Citrus Zing
The addition of lemon juice not only gives this salad a tangy taste, but also increases the vitamin C content. Vitamin C is known for its immune-boosting properties and its role in collagen synthesis and supporting healthy skin and connective tissue.
So next time you’re in the mood for a delicious and nutritious meal, give this “Steak, Roasted Pepper and Pearl Barley Salad” a try. It is a filling dish that offers a range of health benefits and will leave you feeling nourished and energized.