Treat yourself to the perfect bistro experience with our delicious Steak & Chips recipe. Discover the secret of perfectly crispy and irresistible chips like never before. Our sophisticated technique will revolutionize your cooking and promise a never-ending love affair with this classic dish. Say goodbye to other recipes because our foolproof method will be your first choice when you want to make the most delicious steak and chips combination at home.
- 600g medium King Edward potatoes or Maris Piper potatoes
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 2 x 200g beef steaks
- 2 handfuls of mixed leaves
- Dressing of choice for serving
- 50 g butter, soft
- small handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Squeeze out some lemon juice
- Mash all the ingredients for the butter with lots of ground black pepper.
- Flatten the butter between plastic wrap to thin it out.
- Place the butter in the refrigerator or freezer to harden.
- Cut the potatoes into fine chips.
- Rinse the chips under hot water.
- Dry the chips on a tea towel.
- Place the chips in a deep pot; they should only be a third full.
- Cover the chips with cold oil.
- Place the pot over medium heat and let the oil simmer.
- Stir the chips occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Increase the heat so the oil bubbles quickly and fry the chips until crisp and golden brown. Stir occasionally to prevent them from sticking. This process takes approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Once ready, remove the chips with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat grill pan until smoking hot.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and rub with a little oil.
- Cook the steaks in the grill pan depending on the desired doneness and thickness of the steak. For a 2cm thick steak, cook for 2 minutes on each side (rarity), adding an additional minute with each increasing degree of doneness.
- Just before removing the steaks from the grill pan, add half of the prepared butter to each steak.
- Serve the steaks with the chips, some mixed leaves and a spicy dressing.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Grill or grill
- Garlic press (optional)
- citrus press
This steak and chips recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, store the steak and chips separately in airtight containers and refrigerate. The steak will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, while the chips will last for 2 days. When reheating, be sure to cook the steak thoroughly. Do not reheat the chips in the microwave or they will become soggy. Instead, heat them in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 10 minutes or until crispy.
Health Benefits of Steak & Chips
Steak and fries are a delicious combination that is popular with many. This classic dish not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits when prepared with the right ingredients and techniques. Let’s explore some of the nutritious components of steak and chips.
Protein-rich beef steaks
The main ingredient of this dish is the beef steaks, which provide a significant amount of protein. Proteins are essential for various biological functions, including building and repairing tissues, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting a healthy immune system. A 200g serving of beef steak contains around 50g of protein, making it an excellent option for people looking to meet their protein needs.
Minerals for stronger bones
Beef steaks are also a rich source of minerals such as iron and zinc. Iron is crucial for the production of red blood cells and the transport of oxygen throughout the body. Zinc, on the other hand, plays an important role in immune function, cell growth and wound healing. These minerals also help maintain strong bones and can help prevent conditions such as osteoporosis.
The steak comes with a portion of delicious chips made from medium-sized King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes. Potatoes are often underestimated, but they actually offer a number of health benefits. They are a good source of important nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. It also plays a crucial role in collagen production, which is necessary for healthy skin, blood vessels and connective tissue.
Potassium is an essential mineral that helps maintain proper heart and muscle function. It also helps regulate blood pressure and fluid balance in the body.
Fiber is important for a healthy digestive system. It promotes regular bowel movements, helps control blood sugar levels and can help control weight.
Butter and parsley combination
Adding butter and parsley to steak and chips further enhances the flavor of the dish. Butter gives the dish a rich and creamy texture, while parsley adds a fresh and aromatic touch. Although these ingredients are primarily for flavor, parsley is known for its potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
This ensemble of steak and fries is rounded off with a dressing of your choice. This allows you to personalize the dish and cater to your taste preferences. Whether you choose a tangy vinaigrette or a creamy dressing, you have the flexibility to use healthy ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, or other flavorful additions.
In summary, a well-prepared steak and fries meal can provide several health benefits. The protein-rich beef steaks, nutrient-dense potatoes, additional ingredients like butter and parsley, and a customizable dressing contribute to a filling and nutritious meal. So next time you treat yourself to this classic combination, you can enjoy it knowing that it is part of a balanced and healthy diet.