This roast dish is the epitome of culinary delight and combines the aromatic flavors of star anise with juicy roast chicken. Designed to satisfy the cravings of two people, it promises an intimate and unforgettable dining experience. As the star anise permeates the bird, its enchanting scent tantalizes your senses, making every bite a culinary adventure. Complement this exquisite dish with creamy mashed potatoes, whose velvety texture harmoniously merges with the fragrant aromas. And to elevate the experience even further, treat yourself to the innovative Asian sauce that adds a delicious twist to this classic comfort food.
- 1 small chicken (approx. 1.3-1.6 kg)
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10cm piece of ginger, peeled
- 4 star anise
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cube of chicken broth, made up to 1.2 liters of hot broth
- 2 large carrots, halved and cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 500g (approx. 4) potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Add a few slices of onion, garlic cloves, a small piece of ginger and 1 star anise to the chicken.
- Brush the chicken all over with sesame oil.
- Pour the broth over it.
- Scatter the remaining vegetables into the dish.
- Grate the remaining ginger and garlic over the chicken and vegetables.
- Add the remaining star anise to the broth.
- Cover the chicken with foil and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil twice to baste the chicken with the liquid.
- Mix soy and sugar together.
- Remove the foil from the chicken.
- Pour over the soy mixture.
- Return to the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and place it on a foil-covered plate.
- Pour a ladleful of juice from the can into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and add it to the pan.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Strain the sauce into a jug.
- Stir and squeeze the onions to squeeze out any excess juice.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with the olive oil.
- Serve half of the chicken with the vegetables and half of the sauce.
- Save the rest for chicken, vegetable, and noodle soup (see “It Works,” right).
Equipment and tools
For this Star Anise Roast Chicken recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- 1 roasting dish or casserole dish
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 peeler
- 1 large pot
- 1 wooden spoon or spatula
- 1 measuring spoon
- 1 whisk
- 1 pliers
This star anise fried chicken recipe contains the following allergens:
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
Please be aware of these allergens if you or your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions. Consider using alternative ingredients or adjusting the recipe accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from your star anise roast chicken, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature before storing.
- Remove remaining meat from bones and place in an airtight container.
- Cover the container and place it in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking.
- Leftover chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating, be sure to heat the chicken thoroughly until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Health Benefits of Star Anise Roast Chicken
Star anise fried chicken not only has a delicious and aromatic taste but also brings several health benefits. Combining the benefits of star anise, chicken, vegetables and other ingredients, this recipe provides a healthy and nutritious meal. Let’s explore the health benefits of eating fried chicken with star anise and how each ingredient contributes to your well-being.
Chicken is a great source of high-quality protein, which plays an important role in building and repairing tissue. It also contains essential amino acids that support muscle growth and development. Including lean chicken in your diet can help maintain and strengthen your muscles while keeping you feeling full.
Adding onions to this recipe not only improves the flavor but also provides nutritional benefits. Onions are rich in antioxidants and contain compounds that may help reduce inflammation, lower the risk of heart disease, and support immune system health. They are also a good source of vitamin C and other nutrients.
Garlic brings a unique taste and also has various medicinal properties. It contains compounds such as allicin, which have antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties. Garlic may also help lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels, and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Ginger is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Consuming ginger can help relieve nausea, relieve muscle pain and soreness, and aid digestion. It is also believed to have an immune-boosting effect and may contribute to overall gut health.
5. Star anise
Star anise is a unique spice that not only adds a special flavor but also offers several health benefits. It contains compounds with antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that can support your immune system and fight off pathogens. In addition, star anise is used in traditional medicine to aid digestion and relieve symptoms such as bloating and indigestion.
Carrots are packed with essential nutrients including beta-carotene, vitamin K1 and potassium. Beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A, helps maintain healthy vision, supports the immune system and promotes skin health. Carrots are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
7. Soy sauce
Although soy sauce should be enjoyed in moderation due to its high sodium content, it adds a savory flavor to the dish. It is a source of umami flavor and contains small amounts of protein and iron. However, people who need to limit their sodium intake should be careful about consuming soy sauce.
Potatoes are an important source of carbohydrates, which are essential for energy production. They are also a good source of vitamin C and potassium. However, portion control is crucial as potatoes can be high in calories. It is important to balance consumption with other nutrient-rich ingredients.
By combining these ingredients, star anise fried chicken provides a well-rounded meal with numerous health benefits. From providing high-quality proteins, essential nutrients and antioxidants to supporting digestion and promoting immune health, this recipe is a healthy addition to a balanced diet.