Introducing our unique take on a Sri Lankan classic. Our Sri Lankan fried chicken and hoppers dish combines tender, flavorful chicken with a delicious blend of spices that will tantalize your taste buds. Combine this delicious chicken with hoppers, a traditional rice pancake popular with locals, and you have a combination made in heaven. And let’s not forget the highlight – a heavenly coconut and onion sauce that adds a smooth and creamy treat to this already delicious combination. Prepare for a culinary adventure that will take you straight to the vibrant streets of Sri Lanka.
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- Pinch of white pepper
- 500g skinless chicken breast, each cut into 3 pieces
- 250g rice flour
- 1 ½ tsp fast-acting dry yeast
- 1 ½ tsp golden powdered sugar
- 500 ml coconut milk
- Rapeseed oil, for brushing
- 4-6 eggs
- 1l sunflower oil or rapeseed oil
- 75g grams of flour
- 25g cornstarch
- 100g quick cooked polenta
- 25g desiccated coconut
- a pinch of smoked paprika powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green chili pepper, halved lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp cane sugar or light brown sugar
- 400 ml full-fat coconut milk
- 125g bag baby leaf spinach, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- To prepare the chicken, place the coconut milk in a jug and stir in the garlic, spices and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Place the chicken in a plastic container or roasting pan and pour the brine over it to cover.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 24 hours.
- To make the funnels, place the rice flour in a large bowl.
- In a jug, mix 125 ml water with yeast and sugar and let stand for about 8 minutes until a little foam forms.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir the wet ingredients into the rice flour to create a smooth batter that is slightly thinner than pancake batter.
- Season, cover and let ferment in the fridge overnight.
- To make the Kiri Hodi, add all the ingredients (except coconut milk, lime juice and spinach) to a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon water and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the coconut milk and cook (do not boil) for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stir until wilted, then remove from heat.
- Season with salt and add the lime juice.
- To make the sambol, using a pestle and mortar or mini-machine, grind the onions with the chilies, a large pinch of salt and smoked paprika into a coarse paste.
- If necessary, season with lime juice and more salt.
- To cook, remove the chicken mixture from the refrigerator for about an hour to allow it to come to room temperature.
- To cook the chicken, heat the oil in a deep fryer or pot until it reaches 180°C on a cooking thermometer.
- For the fried chicken breading, mix all the ingredients with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the brine one piece at a time, allowing the excess to drip off, then dipping it in the breading.
- Shake off excess and fry in oil for 6-8 minutes until cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels and then place in the oven on low heat while you shape the funnels.
- Make the funnels. Pound the bottom of your hopper to remove any lumps.
- Add a splash of water to thin it out if necessary.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, a funnel pan or a small wok with high sides and brush some rapeseed oil with kitchen paper.
- Add a ladleful of the mixture to the pan and immediately swirl it up the edges to form a bowl-shaped pancake.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add an egg and cover with a lid.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the egg is cooked through and the edges begin to brown.
- Repeat with remaining dough and eggs.
- Serve the hoppers with chicken, sambol and kiri hodi.
Equipment and tools
- Mixing spoon
- frying pan
- slotted spoon
- Wire frame
- grill pan
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
This recipe contains coconut, fish and gluten. Please be aware of these allergens if you or your guests have dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover rotisserie chicken and hoppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To make them crispy again, they can be reheated in the oven for a few minutes.
Health Benefits of Sri Lankan Fried Chicken & Hoppers
Sri Lankan cuisine is known for its bold flavors and vibrant spices. A popular dish that showcases the unique flavors of this country is Sri Lankan fried chicken with hops. This article explores the health benefits of this delicious dish.
The first ingredient in this recipe is coconut milk. Coconut milk is rich in healthy fats that can help boost brain function and improve heart health. It also contains vitamins C, E and B as well as minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium. The addition of coconut milk gives this dish a creamy consistency and a subtle sweetness.
garlic and ginger
Garlic and ginger are two powerful ingredients that offer numerous health benefits. Garlic has been used for centuries for its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. It can help reduce inflammation and boost the immune system. Ginger, on the other hand, is known for its digestive effects. It can relieve nausea, reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation.
Using skinless chicken breast in this recipe makes it a healthier option compared to using skinless chicken breast. Chicken breast is a lean source of protein that is low in fat and calories. It is also rich in essential nutrients such as vitamin B6, phosphorus and selenium. Protein is important for muscle growth and repair and can also help promote satiety, thereby having a positive effect on weight control.
Rice flour is a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour and is therefore suitable for people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. It is also a good source of energy and contains small amounts of essential nutrients such as iron and calcium.
Eggs are a versatile ingredient that add richness and flavor to this dish. They are packed with high-quality protein and contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium. Including eggs in your diet can contribute to healthy hair, skin, and nails.
Gram flour and corn flour
Chickpea flour, also called chickpea flour, is made from ground chickpeas and is a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. It is rich in protein and fiber and contains nutrients such as iron, magnesium and folic acid. Cornmeal, on the other hand, is high in carbohydrates and is often used as a thickener. Incorporating these flours into the fried chicken batter adds consistency while providing additional nutrients.
Dried coconuts give the dough a unique taste and also have positive effects on health. It is a good source of healthy fats, fiber and minerals such as manganese and copper. Including shredded coconut in your diet can support heart health, aid digestion and boost the immune system.
This recipe contains a variety of spices such as smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric and fenugreek seeds. These spices not only enhance the flavor of the dish but also provide numerous health benefits. Turmeric, for example, contains curcumin, a compound with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Cayenne pepper can boost metabolism and help you lose weight. The combination of these spices adds depth and complexity to the dish while providing a number of health benefits.
Spinach and lime
Spinach is included in the accompanying curry sauce and is a nutrient-rich leafy green. It is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as iron, calcium and potassium. Spinach is low in calories and high in fiber, making it an excellent choice for weight management. Lime juice gives the sauce a refreshing citrus flavor and also contains vitamin C, which supports immune system health.
Sri Lanka’s hop fried chicken is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From the richness of the coconut milk to the nutritional value of the chicken breast to the goodness of various spices and vegetables, this dish is a flavorful and nutritious choice for any meal.