This rich dark chocolate sponge, filled with caramel and juicy pomegranate slivers, is a breathtaking treat. It embodies the perfect blend of indulgence and freshness, making it a fantastic alternative to the traditional Christmas cake or a deliciously decadent dessert for a dinner party.
- 225g unsalted butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 250g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into squares
- 5 large eggs
- 225g light muscovado sugar, crushed with your fingers to remove any lumps
- 85g ground almonds
- 50 g flour, plus 1 tbsp additional
- 150 ml double cream
- 100 g bar of dark chocolate (70% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- a handful of pomegranate seeds
- Generously grease a 23 cm springform pan and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place butter and chocolate in a medium bowl and melt gently, either over a pot of simmering water or in the microwave.
- Stir until smooth, then set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the sugar, then beat with electric mixers for 5-8 minutes until thick, mousse-like and doubled in volume.
- Pour the chocolate mixture around the edge of the bowl, then fold it in with a large metal spoon until the dough is evenly brown and individual chocolate streaks are visible.
- Sift the almonds, flour and ¼ teaspoon salt over the top and fold in evenly.
- Slowly pour the batter into the mold and then use a spatula to remove the last bit from the bowl.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake has risen and sits on top.
- Let the cake cool in the tin on a rack. The cake may sink and burst a little, which is okay.
- For the topping, bring the cream to the boil.
- Put the chocolate with the powdered sugar in a bowl and pour the hot cream over it.
- Let sit for a few minutes, stir until smooth, then let cool and thicken for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin and place it on a plate. Then spread the icing over the top and let it drip down the sides.
- Let it set for a few minutes, then sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and either refrigerate for a few hours or serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
– Mixing bowl
– Whisk or electric mixer
– 20 cm round springform pan
– baking paper
– Cooling rack
– Serving plate
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Milk (butter, cream)
Storage and leftovers
Leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. To enjoy the cake to its fullest, bring it to room temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Squidgy Chocolate and Pomegranate Cake
Squidgy Chocolate Pomegranate Pie is not only a delicious dessert, but also a surprisingly nutritious treat. Combining the richness of dark chocolate with the vibrant sweetness of pomegranate seeds, this delicious dessert offers several health benefits you can enjoy guilt-free. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious cake:
1. Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate
The Squidgy Chocolate Cake is made primarily from dark chocolate, which contains high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from free radicals, unstable molecules that cause cell damage and can contribute to the development of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
2. Heart-healthy ingredients
Both dark chocolate and pomegranate seeds are known for their heart-healthy properties. Dark chocolate has been found to lower blood pressure, lower LDL cholesterol levels, and improve blood circulation, thereby promoting cardiovascular health. On the other hand, pomegranate seeds contain polyphenols and other compounds that may help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and thus further support heart health.
3. Nutrient-rich almonds
The addition of ground almonds not only gives the Squidgy cake a delicious texture, but also provides a number of important nutrients. Almonds are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, vitamin E, magnesium and potassium. These nutrients play a crucial role in supporting brain health, lowering cholesterol, and maintaining overall well-being.
4. Pomegranate seeds for immunity
Pomegranate seeds are not only a visually appealing addition to the cake, but also offer numerous health benefits. They’re packed with immune-boosting vitamin C, which can boost your immune system and protect against common illnesses like flu and colds. In addition, vitamin C is also essential for collagen synthesis and promotes healthy skin and tissue repair.
5. Moderation is key
Although this delicious pie offers several health benefits, it’s important to remember that moderation is key. The recipe contains butter, sugar and cream, which should be consumed in moderation for a balanced and healthy diet. However, having a slice of chocolate pomegranate cake every now and then can be a delicious and guilt-free treat for your taste buds and your overall well-being.