This moist lemon ginger cake is a delicious twist on a classic. With its dense and sticky texture, it is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Not only is this recipe incredibly easy to prepare, but it also promises to be a delicious addition to your Sunday tea time. The combination of tangy lemon and spicy ginger creates a harmonious flavor profile that leaves you wanting more. Whether you’re a ginger lover or looking for a comforting treat, this lemon ginger cake is the perfect choice. Treat yourself to this delicious creation and enhance your tea experience!
- 200g dates, pitted
- 200g butter, cut into pieces
- 300g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50 g fresh or frozen ginger root, grated
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 Bramley apple (approx. 250g), peeled and cut into pea-sized pieces
- 50g white chocolate
- 1 tbsp chopped candied lemon peel to decorate
- 1 tbsp sugar “coffee crystals”, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Grease a round cake tin with a diameter of 20 cm (approx. 8 cm deep) and line it with baking paper.
- Place dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Heat the butter in a small pan until melted and stir in the sugar. Allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in eggs, ginger and lemon zest.
- Drain the dates and chop finely. Scrape them into the pan as well and mix well.
- Stir in flour and then apple.
- Pour into the cake tin, place the tin on a baking tray (this will prevent the bottom from browning too much) and then bake for about 1 ¼ hours until the cake has risen well.
- A skewer inserted into the cake should come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- Break the white chocolate into a non-metal bowl.
- Heat in microwave on medium in one-minute bursts until melted (or in a bowl over a pot of simmering water).
- Remove the cake from the pan and peel off the paper.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cake, sprinkle with the crystallized lemon peel and coffee crystals and allow to set before serving.
- Well packaged, the cake will keep for at least a week – it just keeps getting better.
- Or, wrap the cooled cake in several layers of plastic wrap before decorating and freeze for up to two months.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 20cm square cake tin
- baking paper
- Sharp knife
- Cooling rack
This moist lemon ginger cake contains the following potential allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
- Wheat (self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
Once cooled, store Squidgy Lemon Ginger Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
If there are any leftovers, you can freeze them. Cut the cake into portions and wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap or place in airtight containers. It can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw before eating.
The Health Benefits of Squidgy Lemon Ginger Cake
Enjoying a slice of moist lemon ginger cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. This delicious cake is packed with nutritious ingredients that can have a positive impact on your well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients of this delicious treat.
Not only are dates naturally sweet and delicious, but they also offer a number of health benefits. An excellent source of fiber, these chewy fruits provide fiber that aids digestion and prevents constipation. Dates also contain essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium and copper, which contribute to heart health, bone strength and a well-functioning immune system.
Adding fresh or frozen ginger root to a Squidgy Lemon Ginger Cake not only provides a refreshing kick but also offers numerous health benefits. Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help relieve muscle soreness and ward off illness. It is also known to relieve nausea and aid digestion, making it a great ingredient for relieving stomach discomfort.
The zesty taste and scent of lemon makes this cake more than just pleasant to taste. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system and protects against common illnesses like colds and flu. The citrus fruit is also rich in flavonoids, which have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.
The addition of Bramley apples not only adds a fruity taste but also increases the nutritional value of the cake. Bramley apples are a good source of fiber, promote healthy digestion and help with weight control. They also contain vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin, boosting the immune system and keeping eyes healthy.
Although white chocolate may not offer as many health benefits as its darker counterparts, it still offers some benefits. White chocolate contains calcium, which is important for strong bones and teeth. It also contains small amounts of iron and magnesium, which help form red blood cells and maintain a healthy nervous system.
With its combination of nutritious ingredients, lemon ginger cake lets you treat yourself to a treat that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also support your overall health. So go ahead and enjoy every juicy, savory bite guilt-free!