Indulge in the rich flavors of this delicious one-pot meal – Squid Pinto Bean Stew with Garlic Toast. Slowly cooked with a generous amount of peppers, tomatoes, and hearty pinto beans, this dish offers a bold and satisfying flavor combination. The tender and juicy squid gives the stew a delicious seafood touch and makes it a true culinary delight. And to complete the dish, serve it with crispy and aromatic garlic toasts for added deliciousness. This recipe is an absolute winner, perfect for anyone looking for a comforting and tasty meal. Enjoy!
- 175g dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 2 large onions, 1 halved, 1 finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, 1 whole, 3 sliced
- 4 stalks of celery, 2 halved, 2 diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 2 tsp
- 4 garlic cloves, 3 finely chopped, 1 whole
- 800 g of prepared squid and tentacles, cleaned and the body cut into thick rings, the wings cut in half, the tentacles left whole
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 680g jar of passata
- 500 g pot-fresh chicken stock
- 2 thick slices of brown bread, quartered diagonally
- ¼ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- wilted greens for serving (optional)
- Drain the pinto beans, rinse with water and place in a large pot.
- Add the halved onion, whole carrot and halved celery stalks to the pot.
- Cover the ingredients with water and add the bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about an hour.
- Once the beans are cooked, drain them and remove the bay leaf and cooked vegetables.
- Set the beans aside until ready to use.
- In the meantime, heat an ovenproof baking dish with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the remaining onion, carrot, celery and minced garlic to the bowl.
- Lightly sauté the vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the squid, tomato puree and thyme sprig.
- Cook for a minute or two, then pour over the passata and chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Stir in the cooked pinto beans.
- Cook until the squid is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet.
- Mix the remaining oil with the paprika and spices and drizzle over the bread.
- Place the bread in the oven and bake for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Rub the oiled side of the bread with a whole clove of garlic.
- Sprinkle parsley over the stew and serve with the garlic toasts and, if desired, some wilted vegetables.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (found in bread)
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers from this squid and pinto bean stew can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
Health Benefits of Squid and Pinto Bean Stew with Garlic Toast
Squid and pinto bean stew with garlic toast is not only a delicious and hearty meal but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a look at the health benefits of the ingredients used in this recipe:
1. Pinto beans
Pinto beans are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. They are also rich in proteins, which are essential for the growth and repair of cells in our body. Pinto beans contain antioxidants that help fight inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
Onions are full of antioxidants and sulfur compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. They also contain quercetin, a flavonoid that may help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Onions are also known to boost the immune system and improve digestive health.
Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that is converted into vitamin A in our bodies. Vitamin A is important for good vision, a healthy immune system and cell growth. Carrots also provide fiber and other vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and potassium.
Celery is low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals. It contains antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body. Celery also acts as a natural diuretic and can help regulate blood pressure. It is rich in fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
Squid is a lean source of protein that contains essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth and repair. It is low in fat and carbohydrates, making it a healthy option for weight management. Squid is also a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorus.
Garlic has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. It contains compounds such as allicin, which have antioxidant and antibacterial effects. Garlic is known to boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and improve heart health. It may also have anti-cancer properties.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, Squid & Pinto Bean Stew with Garlic Toasts creates a well-rounded meal that is not only delicious but also health-promoting.
Enjoy a bowl of this stew with a side of wilted vegetables for an extra dose of vitamins and minerals!