Spring Roast Chicken is a delicious and affordable dish that offers juicy meat and deliciously crispy skin. By using chicken thighs, you can save costs and still enjoy a tasty meal. In addition to the juicy chicken, this recipe also contains hearty spring vegetables such as asparagus, zucchini and peas. The combination of these fresh ingredients gives the dish a touch of color and a refreshing taste. To further enhance the flavor, feta cheese is sprinkled over the chicken for a deliciously tangy and creamy finish. Treat your taste buds to this irresistible spring feast!
- 8 chicken thighs, with bones and skin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- 4 shallots, cut into thick slices
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- small pack of tarragon
- 450 g asparagus spears, cleaned
- 2 zucchini, cut diagonally into thick slices
- 250g peas (preferably fresh, not frozen)
- 100g feta, crumbled
Article Section: Spring Roast Chicken Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
2. Place the chicken thighs in a large, shallow roasting pan.
3. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
4. Toss the chicken thighs with olive oil, lemon zest and lemon wedges.
5. Add shallots, rosemary and tarragon to the roasting pan.
6. Arrange the chicken thighs in the dish with the skin side up.
7. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
8. After the specified time, check whether the skin is crispy and golden.
9. Bring water to a boil in a separate large pot.
10. Cook the asparagus in the boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender.
11. Add the zucchini and peas to the pan for the last minute of cooking.
12. Drain the vegetables.
13. Add the cooked vegetables to the roasting pan along with the chicken.
14. Brush the vegetables well with the pan juices.
15. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the chicken and vegetables.
16. Serve the spring roast chicken hot.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- baking pan
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following common allergens:
- Dairy products (feta)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a baking dish and warm in the preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes or until heated through. It is not recommended to freeze the leftovers.
The Health Benefits of Spring Roast Chicken
Spring roast chicken is not only a delicious and flavorful dish, but it also comes with several health benefits. Packed with essential nutrients and healthy ingredients, this recipe is the perfect choice for a nutritious and filling meal. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits associated with the ingredients:
1. Chicken thighs
Chicken thighs are a good source of high-quality protein, which is necessary for muscle growth, repair and maintenance. They are also rich in essential vitamins such as niacin and vitamin B6, which play an important role in metabolism and support the body’s energy production.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil used to fry chicken thighs is known for its heart-healthy properties. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, olive oil contains antioxidants that may help protect against chronic inflammation.
Lemon zest and wedges not only add a tangy flavor to the dish, but also provide a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system and plays a crucial role in collagen production and supports skin health and wound healing.
Commonly used in Mediterranean cuisine, shallots are rich in antioxidants and contain flavonols, which may have anti-cancer properties. They also provide important vitamins, minerals and fiber, contributing to overall digestive health.
Rosemary sprigs not only add a wonderful aroma to the dish but also provide various health benefits. They contain antioxidants that help eliminate harmful free radicals in the body and are associated with improved digestion and brain function.
Tarragon is a versatile herb that adds a unique flavor to the dish. It contains essential oils that can have a calming effect on the digestive system and is traditionally used to aid digestion and relieve stomach discomfort.
7. Asparagus spears
Asparagus is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is low in calories but rich in fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, and folic acid. It also provides antioxidants and is often associated with healthy digestion, improved brain function, and reduced risk of chronic disease.
Zucchini, also called zucchini, is a great source of fiber and contributes to a healthy digestive system and weight control. They also contain vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants that can help support a strong immune system.
Peas are an excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber. They are packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, manganese and folic acid. Peas also contain phytonutrients that have shown antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Feta cheese
Although consumed in moderation due to its higher sodium content, feta cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. It also contains probiotics, which promote a healthy gut and may provide some protection against certain types of cancer.
By combining these healthy ingredients, spring fried chicken not only delights your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. So next time you’re looking for a nutritious and tasty meal, give this recipe a try!