Introducing a tempting starter option that combines the flavors of Cyprus with a modern twist. Our Spring Onion Halloumi Bruschetta with Carrot Saffron Salsa is a culinary delight that is sure to impress your taste buds. Enjoy the crunchy perfection of fried cheese complemented by the crunch of toasted sourdough bread. But that’s not all – the addition of a vibrant, saffron-infused carrot topping provides an explosion of exotic flavors. This unique combination promises a truly unforgettable culinary experience. Treat yourself to this extraordinary culinary adventure today!
- 225g pack of halloumi cheese
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of saffron threads
- Juice ½ lemon
- 100 g whole blanched almonds
- small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 12 spring onions, cleaned
- 1 red chicory, leaves separated
- If you want to reduce the salt content of the halloumi, soak it in cold water for two hours beforehand.
- Cut the halloumi evenly across the width of the cheese into 8 slices.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the carrots with olive oil, saffron, lemon juice and some spices.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, until tender and golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then place in a food processor with the almonds and chop coarsely.
- Scrape the salsa into a bowl and add the chopped cilantro.
- Mix well and add additional spices or lemon juice if necessary.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan.
- Pat the halloumi slices dry thoroughly.
- When the pan is hot, carefully place in the pan and fry over medium heat until golden brown, then turn over and fry until the other side is golden brown.
- While the cheese is cooking, toast the sourdough and then rub one side with garlic.
- Place a piece of toast on each of the 4 plates and top with 2 slices of halloumi.
- Add the scallions to the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until wilted and lightly golden brown.
- Place 3 spring onions on each halloumi-covered sourdough slice.
- Spread the carrot-saffron salsa generously over the top.
- Serve with chicory leaves.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- grill pan
- Garlic press
- Small bowl
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Cheese (Halloumi)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The bread can easily become soggy, so it’s best to toast it again before serving.
Health Benefits of Scallion and Halloumi Bruschetta with Carrot and Saffron Salsa
Scallion Halloumi Bruschetta with Carrot Saffron Salsa is not only a delicious dish but also full of health benefits. This recipe combines the goodness of vegetables like carrots, spring onions and red chicory with nutritious halloumi cheese. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these ingredients:
Halloumi cheese is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine and offers several health benefits:
- Good source of protein: Halloumi cheese is rich in proteins, which are essential for building and repairing tissue in the body.
- Rich in calcium: Calcium is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth and halloumi cheese is a good source of this mineral.
- Provides B vitamins: Halloumi cheese contains B vitamins such as riboflavin and vitamin B12, which are important for energy production and nervous system function.
In addition to being delicious, carrots also offer several health benefits:
- Rich in fiber: Carrots are rich in fiber, which aids in digestion and promotes satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
- Packed with Antioxidants: Carrots are rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene, which can protect the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Rich in Vitamin A: Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which is important for maintaining good vision, a healthy immune system, and good growth and development.
In addition to adding a vibrant flavor to the dish, green onions also provide several health benefits:
- Antimicrobial Properties: Green onions possess antimicrobial properties that can help fight certain bacteria and viruses in the body.
- Rich in antioxidants: Green onions are full of antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
- Contains essential nutrients: Green onions are a good source of essential nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K and folic acid.
In addition to adding a touch of color to the dish, red chicory offers several health benefits:
- Rich in fiber: Red chicory is rich in fiber, which aids digestion and promotes bowel movement regularity.
- Rich in Antioxidants: It is packed with antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Source of vitamins and minerals: Red chicory is a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as minerals such as potassium and calcium.
This spring onion and halloumi bruschetta with carrot and saffron salsa is a healthy and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch or appetizer. Incorporating these ingredients into your diet can help boost your overall well-being and provide you with important nutrients.