Put a fresh spin on the traditional Spanish one-pot dish with our Spring Chicken Paella recipe. This delicious variation combines spicy Spanish rice with a vibrant blend of green broad beans, fragrant dill, refreshing mint and aromatic parsley.
Experience the flavor explosion when tender chicken, perfectly cooked rice and the vibrant blend of herbs and vegetables come together in perfect harmony. Elevate your paella experience with this spring-inspired recipe that will leave you wanting more!
- 6 chicken thighs, with skin on
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g paella rice
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 good pinches of saffron
- Zest and squeeze 2 lemons
- 1½ l chicken broth
- 200g fresh or frozen peas and broad beans (weight after peeling and shelling)
- ½ small bunch of dill, chopped
- ½ small bunch of mint, chopped
- ½ small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Season the chicken thighs well and then dust them all over with flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a paella pan or large, deep frying pan.
- Fry the thighs until golden brown all over.
- Place the thighs in a shallow roasting pan and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Add remaining oil, onions and garlic.
- Fry very gently until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, peppers, saffron and lemon zest.
- Add the broth and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, broad beans and the juice of one lemon.
- Cook until the rice is just cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the herbs and as much remaining lemon juice as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs back in the pan.
- Before serving, cover for 5 minutes to allow everything to set.
Equipment and tools
To prepare spring chicken paella, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan or paella pan
- Sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
The Spring Chicken Paella recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from flour)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover spring chicken paella, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in a pan until warmed through. It is not recommended to freeze this dish.
Health Benefits of Spring Chicken Paella
Spring Chicken Paella is not only a delicious and filling meal but also comes with several health benefits. This Mediterranean-inspired dish is packed with nutritious ingredients that contribute to overall well-being. Let’s explore the various health benefits offered by the key components of this flavorful recipe:
The chicken thighs used in this recipe are a good source of lean protein. They provide essential amino acids that support muscle growth and repair. In addition, chicken legs contain vitamins B6 and B12, which play a key role in brain function and red blood cell production.
Paella rice is a rich source of carbohydrates and provides energy that energizes the body. Carbohydrates are essential for optimal brain function and physical performance.
The addition of sweet paprika gives the dish more than just a vibrant color. Bell peppers contain antioxidants such as vitamin A and carotenoids, which can help protect the body from free radical damage.
An exquisite and valued spice, saffron not only enhances the aroma and flavor of paella but also offers potential health benefits. Saffron contains compounds that may have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and mood-enhancing effects.
The zest and juice of lemons give the dish a refreshing and spicy note. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and promotes collagen production for healthy skin.
Fresh or frozen peas and broad beans
Peas and broad beans are nutrient-dense and contain a number of vitamins and minerals. They are particularly rich in fiber, which promotes digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. In addition, these legumes provide folic acid, iron and potassium.
Herbs: dill, mint and parsley
The combination of dill, mint and parsley in this recipe provides freshness and depth of flavor. These herbs contain various antioxidants and essential nutrients that contribute to a balanced diet and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
Incorporating these healthy ingredients into your spring chicken paella will help you enjoy a delicious meal while providing your body with essential nutrients. Enjoy this Mediterranean treat without feeling guilty, knowing that it not only satisfies your taste buds but also supports your overall health.