This Mexican vegetarian dish is not only delicious, but also full of important nutrients. Our Spinach Tomato Tortillas recipe is a healthy and flavorful option that will satisfy your taste buds while providing numerous health benefits. With a generous amount of fiber, these tortillas offer a great way to support a healthy digestive system. Additionally, they contain two of the daily recommended servings of vegetables, making it a fantastic choice for anyone looking to increase their vegetable consumption. Enjoy the goodness of this dish as it nourishes your body and pampers your taste buds!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 200 g chopped canned tomatoes
- 85g canned mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- good pinch of mild chili powder
- 3 generous handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 4 flour tortillas, about 20 cm in diameter
Making a chili
The spinach and tomato mixture tastes great on its own, served in a bowl with a piece of grain bread to mop up the juices.Make tomato dough
Use tomato-flavored wraps instead of plain tortillas. Make it mushroomy
Place 4 large, flat mushrooms with the brown strips facing up in a greased baking dish. Pile the spinach and tomato mixture on top of the mushrooms, cover with foil and bake at 190°C/Gas 5/fan 170°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and pepper to the pan and sauté gently until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and mixed beans.
- Add the chili powder to the mixture.
- Heat the sauce until it begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the tomato and bean mixture.
- Cook until the spinach leaves have wilted. This should take about a minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Place the tortillas on a countertop.
- Place the filling on each tortilla.
- Fold the tortillas into triangles.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and cook this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- tin opener
- Baking dish (optional, for the mushroom version)
- Foil (optional, for the mushroom variant)
This spinach tomato tortillas recipe contains the following allergens:
Please note that this information is based on the ingredients stated. If you make substitutions or changes, be sure to check the allergen information of the specific products you are using.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, you can warm the tortillas in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Spinach and Tomato Tortillas
In addition to being a delicious and filling meal, spinach and tomato tortillas also provide a number of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe offers a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that can support overall wellness.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Both spinach and tomatoes are excellent sources of antioxidants, which help protect the body from oxidative stress and free radical damage. The combination of these two ingredients in these tortillas can deliver a potent dose of these beneficial compounds.
2. Rich in fiber
Spinach, tomatoes and mixed beans are all high in fiber. Including fiber-rich foods in your diet can aid digestion, promote satiety, and help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
3. Nutrient rich
Spinach is known for its exceptional nutrient profile. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as folic acid and iron. Tomatoes are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium and lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Eating these ingredients in the form of tortillas can help increase your overall nutrient intake.
4. Supports heart health
Both spinach and tomatoes contain nutrients that support heart health. The presence of potassium in tomatoes may help regulate blood pressure, while folic acid and antioxidants in spinach may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
5. Weight management
Spinach and tomatoes are low in calories and high in fiber, making them ideal for weight control. Incorporating these ingredients into your tortillas can help you feel full without consuming excessive calories.
Overall, spinach and tomato tortillas are not only a delicious and convenient meal, but they also offer numerous health benefits. By incorporating this recipe into your diet, you can enjoy a nutritious and tasty dish that supports your well-being.