Indulge in the delicious flavors of our Spinach and Three Cheese Cannelloni, a delicious Italian-style vegetarian main dish that will leave your taste buds wanting more. This delicious recipe features a perfect combination of fresh spinach, three delicious cheeses and a rich tomato sauce, all wrapped in delicate cannelloni shells. The best part? You can prepare this dish in advance and conveniently freeze it for later. This gives you a hassle-free option for busy days when you crave a hearty, home-cooked meal. Discover the authentic taste of Italy with these irresistibly delicious cannelloni!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- a pinch of golden powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 500g spinach, washed
- 300 g soft goat cheese without rind
- 100g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 200 g dried cannelloni tubes
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
Or why not try it with creamed spinach?
Simmer the wilted spinach
and stir the cream until it is bubbly
hot, then season with salt, pepper and
- First, prepare the tomato sauce by heating oil in a shallow pan.
- Saute garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add sugar, vinegar and oregano to the pan.
- Simmer briefly, then add tomatoes and season.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until it thickens, 20 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and set the sauce aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Place spinach in a large sieve.
- Pour hot water over a kettle to wilt the spinach (you may need to do this twice).
- Pour cold water over the spinach to cool it down.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach and place it in a clean tea towel.
- Wring the water out of the spinach well.
- Place the spinach in a food processor and chop.
- Crumble the goat cheese and half of the Parmesan in the food processor.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Puree the mixture until everything is finely chopped.
- Using a piping bag or a plastic bag with the corner cut off, squeeze the mixture into the cannelloni tubes.
- Arrange the filled cannelloni tubes next to each other in a baking dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cannelloni tubes.
- Top with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- If desired, the cannelloni can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw completely before cooking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve straight from the baking dish.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- baking pan
This recipe contains dairy products (goat cheese, parmesan, mozzarella) and olive oil. It may also contain gluten if regular cannelloni tubes are used. Please check the specific dietary needs and restrictions of your guests or family members.
Storage and leftovers
You can store leftover spinach and three cheese cannelloni in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place desired portion in oven at 180°C (350°F) until heated through. It is not recommended to freeze this dish as it may affect the texture of the pasta.
The Health Benefits of Spinach and Three Cheese Cannelloni
Cannelloni with spinach and three cheeses is not only a delicious and enjoyable meal, but also offers numerous health benefits. Combining spinach and various cheeses creates a nutritious and delicious dish that the whole family can enjoy. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these delicious cannelloni.
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is spinach, which is packed with essential nutrients. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and magnesium. It is also rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation. Eating spinach regularly can contribute to a healthy immune system, improved digestion, and overall well-being.
2. Goat cheese
The soft, rindless goat cheese used in this recipe gives the cannelloni a creamy and tangy taste. Goat cheese has lower fat and calories compared to some other cheeses, making it a healthier option. It is also a good source of protein, calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for strong bones and teeth. Additionally, goat cheese is easier to digest for those who may be sensitive to cow’s milk products.
The finely grated Parmesan cheese not only enhances the taste of the cannelloni, but also provides health benefits. Parmesan is a good source of protein and is rich in calcium, phosphorus and vitamin A. These nutrients are important for maintaining bone health, promoting proper nerve function and supporting a healthy immune system.
A pinch of grated nutmeg gives the cannelloni a warm and aromatic taste. Nutmeg contains several bioactive compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains essential oils that have antibacterial properties. Including nutmeg in your diet can aid digestion, improve brain function, and support oral health.
Given these health benefits, spinach and three cheese cannelloni are not only a tasty dish but also a nutritious addition to your meals. It’s a great way to incorporate healthy ingredients into a filling and indulgent meal that everyone will love.
Tip: creamed spinach
For a slightly different twist, you can try making creamed spinach using this recipe. Simmer the wilted spinach and cream together until piping hot, then season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg. Creamed spinach is a delicious side dish that pairs well with various meals and provides additional nutritional value.