Introducing our delicious Spinach and Feta Falafel Bites – the perfect addition to your Christmas party! Not only are these delicious canapés incredibly tasty, but they can also be made in advance, saving you time and ensuring a stress-free event. Packed with aromatic spinach and tangy feta, these bite-sized wonders offer a delicious mix of textures and flavors. Whether you’re hosting friends, family, or co-workers, these no-fuss falafel bites are sure to impress and keep your guests coming back for more. Brighten up your festive gathering with these easy-to-prepare and delicious appetizers!
- 200g baby spinach
- 400 g drained canned chickpeas
- 100g feta cheese
- 2 tsp cumin
- 100g plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Tzatziki, to serve
These canapés can be frozen
for up to 3 months.
If you’re missing the baking sheets, then
Once the canapés are frozen solid, transfer them
them in freezer bags.
Make sure they are well packaged or
sealed for proper storage.
Label everything clearly to remember
what you froze.
- Pour a kettle of boiling water over baby spinach in a colander.
- When the falafels are cool enough to handle, squeeze out the water – do it very well or your falafels will be too soft.
- Pulse the baby spinach in a food processor with the drained chickpeas, feta, cumin and flour until well blended.
- Using well-floured hands, roll the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls.
- Form the balls into flat cakes.
- Fry the patties in batches in vegetable oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Let the falafel cool down.
- Place the falafel on a baking sheet and cover with cling film.
- Freeze falafel.
- To serve, let the falafel thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cook the falafel at 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the falafel with tzatziki.
Equipment and tools
To make spinach and feta falafel bites, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking sheets
- frying pan
- Blender or food processor
- spatula or spoon
This Spinach Feta Falafel Bites recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (feta cheese)
- Gluten (normal flour)
Please double check the ingredients for possible allergens if you have dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover spinach and feta falafel bites, here are some storage tips:
- Store leftover falafel bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- They can be stored for up to 3 days.
If you want to freeze the falafel bites for later use, follow these steps:
- Allow the falafel bites to cool completely.
- Place them in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag.
- Label the container or bags with the date and contents.
- They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen falafel bites, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Enjoy your spinach feta falafel bites!
Health Benefits of Spinach and Feta Falafel Bites
Falafel is a delicious Middle Eastern dish that has gained popularity worldwide. Traditionally made with chickpeas, herbs and spices, falafel is a nutritious and flavorful choice. This article focuses on the health benefits of a variation of traditional falafel known as spinach feta falafel bites.
1. Rich in nutrients
Spinach is the main ingredient in this recipe and provides a variety of essential nutrients. This leafy green vegetable is a great source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and folic acid. Vitamin K is important for blood clotting and bone health, while vitamin A helps maintain healthy vision. Vitamin C and iron are essential for a strong immune system and folic acid is crucial for cell growth and development.
2. Excellent source of fiber
Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet and chickpeas are rich in this nutrient. A 400g can of drained chickpeas used in this recipe provides a significant amount of fiber. Consuming an adequate amount of fiber promotes healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation. Additionally, a high-fiber diet has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease and improved weight control.
3. Antioxidant properties
Both spinach and feta cheese contain antioxidants that protect the body from free radical damage. Antioxidants are known to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, which are risk factors for chronic disease. Including spinach and feta in your diet can contribute to better overall health and reduce your risk of developing certain medical conditions.
4. Alternative protein source
Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making these falafel bites a suitable option for vegetarians and vegans. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and maintaining healthy hair, skin and nails. By including chickpeas in your diet, you can ensure adequate protein intake, especially if you follow a plant-based or meat-reduced diet.
5. Versatile and freezeable
Spinach and Feta Falafel Bites can be frozen for up to 3 months, making them a convenient and time-saving option. Freezing in freezer bags allows for easy storage and quick access when needed. Whether as a snack, appetizer or part of a meal, these falafel bites can be enjoyed at any time.
Next time you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious dish, consider making spinach feta falafel bites. Not only do they taste delicious, but they also offer numerous health benefits that contribute to a balanced, nutritious diet.