A fun favorite with light and fresh flavors – make it part of a retro dinner. This spicy shrimp cocktail with tomato and cilantro dressing is a zesty twist on a classic dish. Juicy shrimp are tossed in a tangy dressing infused with the refreshing taste of tomatoes and aromatic notes of coriander. The spice provides a wonderful kick and ensures a perfect balance of flavors. Whether served as an appetizer or main course, this dish is sure to impress your guests with its bright colors and delicious taste. Rediscover the nostalgic charm of a retro dinner with this tempting shrimp cocktail.
- 350g raw, peeled tiger prawns, thawed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 red chili
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 Little Gem salads
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- a handful of rocket leaves
- To serve, Italian flatbread or toasted flatbread
Raw shrimp, which you get in large bags in the freezer, produces juicier and tastier results than fully cooked ones.
- Pat the shrimp dry with kitchen paper.
- Peel the garlic and chop in to fine slithers.
- Halve the chili, remove the seeds and chop finely.
- Mix garlic, chili and shrimp.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry until pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and let cool.
- Chill the shrimp for up to 8 hours.
- Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds.
- Finely chop the flesh of the tomatoes.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, honey and remaining oil to the bowl.
- Add coriander to the bowl.
- Season and whisk the dressing until slightly thickened.
- Cover the dressing and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Tear the gem leaves into small pieces.
- Chop the avocado flesh.
- Fill six jars with lettuce, avocado and arugula leaves.
- Pile the shrimp on top of the salad in each jar.
- Pour the chilled dressing on top.
- Serve with Italian flatbread or toasted pittas.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this spicy shrimp cocktail with tomato and coriander dressing, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- A garlic press
- frying pan
- Blender or food processor
- Serving bowls
This recipe for Spicy Shrimp Cocktail with Tomato Cilantro Dressing contains the following allergens:
- Shellfish (shrimp)
Storage and leftovers
Leftovers of this spicy shrimp cocktail can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Please note that the texture of the shrimp may change slightly when reheated.
Health benefits of a spicy shrimp cocktail with tomato and coriander dressing
When it comes to appetizers, Spicy Shrimp Cocktail with Tomato Cilantro Dressing is a delicious and nutritious choice. Packed with fresh ingredients and full of flavors, this dish will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key ingredients and their benefits:
1. Raw king prawns
Raw tiger prawns are a fantastic source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting immune function, and maintaining optimal overall health. Additionally, shrimp is low in calories and saturated fat, making it a healthy protein option for weight management.
Garlic not only adds a delicious flavor to the dish but also offers several health benefits. Garlic contains compounds that have been shown to have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and strengthen the immune system.
3. Red chili
The fiery red chili gives this shrimp cocktail a certain spiciness, but also brings with it some health benefits. Chilies contain a compound called capsaicin, which is responsible for their spiciness. Capsaicin has been found to boost metabolism, reduce appetite and aid in weight loss. It may also have pain-relieving properties and promote heart health.
4. Olive oil
The dressing for this shrimp cocktail contains olive oil, which is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats are associated with numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and supporting brain function.
5. Vine tomatoes
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system, while potassium plays an important role in maintaining proper heart function and regulating blood pressure. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, an antioxidant that may help protect against certain types of cancer.
Add a pinch of cilantro for extra flavor and a nutritional boost. Coriander is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as antioxidants. It may have anti-inflammatory properties and contribute to healthy digestion.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your spicy shrimp cocktail with tomato-cilantro dressing, you can enjoy a flavorful appetizer that’s also good for your health. Serve with lettuce, avocado, arugula leaves and some Italian flatbread or toasted flatbreads for a complete and satisfying meal.