These chicken wings are marinated in a combination of aromatic spices, resulting in a tantalizing mix of heat and savory flavors. Baked until perfectly crispy and golden brown, they offer an irresistible crunch in every bite.
What takes these wings to a whole new level is the fiery yet delicious peanut sauce. Its bold and smoky profile provides an addictive kick that perfectly complements the wings. Whether you’re hosting a festive gathering or just in the mood for a delicious treat, these spicy satay wings with peanut sauce are a real showstopper at any party buffet.
- 1.6kg whole chicken wings
- sweet chili sauce
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into sticks, for serving
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 heaped teaspoons of turmeric
- 2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, crushed
- 1 Thai chili, pierced all over with the tip of a knife (see top left)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 100 ml chicken broth (see “Tip”)
Make a share
Use the chicken wing tips to make a good stock. Put them in a medium-sized pan, cover with water, add a few slices of onion (with peel) and a few peppercorns. Simmer for 30 minutes, then strain the broth into a jug and use for the satay sauce.
Tame the heat
Pricking the chili instead of chopping it releases just enough flavor and gives the sauce a zingy but not too fiery note.
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut the wing tips off the wings at the first knuckle.
- Discard the tops or use them to make stock (see top left).
- Cut the remaining wing through the joint.
- Place the wings in a large, nonmetallic bowl or food bag.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the wings.
- Stir well to coat, then chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chili to the pan.
- Fry for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Stir in the cumin and toast for a few seconds.
- Then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer just until a slightly thickened sauce forms.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl, cover and let cool.
- Can be prepared and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Spread the wings on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy and golden brown.
- If a large amount of juice has accumulated in the bowl halfway through, discard it before continuing to fry.
- Just before serving, warm the peanut sauce slightly.
- Remove the lemongrass and chili from the sauce.
- Serve the wings with the peanut sauce, sweet chili sauce and cucumber sticks.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Medium pan
- Grill or grill
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- measuring spoon
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Peanuts (in the peanut sauce)
- Soy (in light soy sauce)
- Coconut (in the coconut cream)
If you or your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions, please take appropriate precautions when preparing and serving this dish. It is always recommended to check ingredient labels for potential allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to enjoy again, you can reheat the wings in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through.
You can also freeze the cooked wings (without sauce) for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. The sauce can be stored separately and reheated when needed.
Health Benefits of Spicy Satay Wings with Peanut Sauce
The Spicy Satay Wings with Peanut Sauce is not only a delicious dish but also offers some amazing health benefits. This recipe offers a great balance of flavors, combining the goodness of chicken wings with aromatic spices and a creamy peanut sauce. Let’s take a look at the various health benefits this dish offers:
1. High protein content
The main ingredient in this recipe, chicken wings, is an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, promoting muscle growth, and increasing overall strength. It also helps maintain healthy skin, hair and nails.
2. Anti-inflammatory properties
Several ingredients used in this dish such as turmeric, cumin, garlic and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties. These spices can help reduce inflammation in the body, which is often associated with various chronic diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, and certain types of cancer.
3. Rich in antioxidants
Turmeric, cumin and garlic are known for their antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect our bodies from damage caused by harmful free radicals, which can contribute to aging and the development of chronic diseases. Regularly incorporating these ingredients into your diet can promote overall health and well-being.
4. Healthy fats
The peanut sauce in this dish provides a source of healthy fats. Peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy fats. These fats help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease when consumed in moderation.
5. Nutrient rich
This recipe also contains ingredients such as coconut cream, cucumber and lemongrass, which add nutritional value to the dish. Coconut cream contains minerals like potassium and magnesium, while cucumber is low in calories and high in moisture. Lemongrass is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin A, iron and potassium.
Overall, the Spicy Satay Wings with Peanut Sauce not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide various health benefits. It is a dish that combines protein, anti-inflammatory spices, antioxidants, healthy fats and essential nutrients. Enjoy this tasty dish knowing that it will nourish your body too.