Spice up your dinner with Sara Buenfeld’s delicious recipe for spicy Indian rice. This aromatic dish is the ideal accompaniment to any curry and gives your meal a special flavor. Fragrant spices blend harmoniously with fluffy rice, creating a delicious blend of tempting flavors that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. Whether you’re a fan of fiery heat or prefer a milder twist, this dish can be adjusted to suit your spice tolerance. Treat yourself to this tempting side dish that will take your curry experience to a whole new level!
- a cup of American long grain rice
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- large handful of sultanas and roasted cashews
- Fry the onions in the sunflower oil in a large pan for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring it to the boil and add a heaped teaspoon of salt – the water will bubble vigorously. Add turmeric and the cinnamon stick to the water.
- Add the rice, stir once and bring to the boil again, then reduce the heat slightly so that the water boils evenly but not too much.
- Cook uncovered and without stirring for 10 minutes (this will result in sticky rice).
- Scoop some out with a slotted spoon and nibble on a grain or two. If they are too crispy, cook them for another minute and try again. They should be tender but with a bit of a bite.
- Drain the rice in a large colander and rinse by pouring it over a kettle of very hot water.
- Stir the crushed seeds of the cardamom pods with the cumin seeds into the onions and fry briefly.
- Add a large handful of sultanas and toasted cashews, then the hot, drained rice.
- Goes well with curry and adds an exotic touch to grilled meat or fish.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
This spicy Indian rice recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this spicy Indian rice dish, be sure to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 2-3 days. To reheat, microwave the rice with a splash of water or heat it in a skillet on the stove until piping hot.
Health Benefits of Spicy Indian Rice
Spicy Indian rice is a tasty dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. This delicious recipe combines a variety of ingredients that contribute to a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dish.
Incorporating spices like turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin into spicy Indian rice can aid digestion. Turmeric, known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, helps soothe the digestive system and relieve indigestion. Cinnamon contains compounds that promote healthy digestion, while cumin seeds are known for their digestive properties that prevent gas and bloating.
Rich in fiber
The long grain American rice used in this recipe is a good source of fiber. Consuming an adequate amount of fiber promotes a healthy digestive system, prevents constipation and helps with weight control. Including a cup of long-grain American rice in Spicy Indian Rice can add to your daily fiber intake.
Provides essential nutrients
Onions, an essential ingredient in this recipe, are rich in vitamins C and B6 as well as fiber. They are also a good source of antioxidants, which protect the body from free radicals. Additionally, onions have antimicrobial properties that can support the immune system.
Sunflower oil, used in cooking, contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamin E. These fats help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy skin and boosting the immune system.
Sultanas and roasted cashews give the dish a special flavor and their health benefits. Sultanas are a natural source of iron, essential for the production of healthy red blood cells. Roasted cashews provide healthy fats, protein and important minerals such as magnesium and zinc.
As you can see, spicy Indian rice offers numerous health benefits. From aiding digestion to providing essential nutrients, this vibrant and delicious dish is not only a treat for your taste buds, but also a great addition to a balanced diet.