Try our delicious Spicy Chicken and Chickpea Curry recipe for a dish that will tantalize your taste buds. This aromatic curry is bursting with bold flavors that will leave you wanting more. And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to make, so you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen. With a perfect blend of spices, tender chicken and hearty chickpeas, this curry is a winner. Plus, it’s freezer-friendly, making it the ideal option for busy days when you need a quick and filling meal. Try it and enjoy the convenience and taste of this amazing curry!
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- a handful of coriander leaves
- cooked rice or naans for serving
- Heat the oil in a pot and add the onions.
- Fry over medium heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and chilies and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute.
- Push the mixture to the side of the pan and then add the chicken thighs.
- Spread the tomato mixture over the chicken and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, 1 teaspoon salt and 150 ml just boiled water and mix well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for the last 5 minutes.
- To freeze, divide portions into freezer-safe containers and allow to cool first.
- Can be stored frozen for up to three months.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a saucepan until piping hot.
- Sprinkle the coriander on top and serve with rice or warm naans, if desired.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan or skillet for cooking
- Sharp knife for cutting onions and garlic
- cutting board
- tin opener
- Measuring spoon for spices
- tablespoons for oil and tomato puree
- Serving plates or bowls
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, make sure to heat the curry thoroughly before serving.
Health Benefits of Spicy Chicken and Chickpea Curry
The spicy chicken and chickpea curry not only satisfies your taste buds with its flavorful combination of spices but also offers several health benefits. This dish contains various ingredients that provide a range of nutrients that support overall well-being.
1. Sunflower oil
The recipe starts with sunflower oil, which is a rich source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. It also contains monounsaturated fats, which promote heart health by lowering bad cholesterol levels.
Thinly sliced onions add to the sweet and savory flavor of the curry. Onions are packed with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system. They also provide fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements.
The addition of garlic not only improves the taste but also offers numerous health benefits. Garlic is known for its potential to boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, and improve heart health. It contains sulfur compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
4. Green chilies
Finely chopped green chillies give the curry a spicy touch. These peppers contain capsaicin, which can help you lose weight by boosting metabolism and reducing appetite. Capsaicin also has pain-relieving properties and can help relieve pain and improve blood circulation.
5. Chicken thighs
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are a good source of lean protein, which is essential for the growth, repair, and maintenance of body tissues. Chicken also contains selenium, B vitamins and phosphorus, all of which contribute to bone health and support the immune system.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are legumes rich in plant protein, fiber and essential minerals such as iron, magnesium and potassium. They help regulate blood sugar levels, promote digestive health and can contribute to satiety, supporting weight management.
7. Coriander leaves
The curry is garnished with a handful of coriander leaves for a touch of freshness. Coriander leaves contain antioxidants and are traditionally used for their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. They are also a good source of vitamins A, C and K.
The curry’s bright yellow color comes from ground turmeric, a spice known for its powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, may help relieve arthritis symptoms, improve brain function, and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
In summary, the Spicy Chicken & Chickpea Curry not only offers a tempting culinary experience but also contains ingredients that support your health. From the antioxidant-rich spices to the lean proteins and fiber-rich chickpeas, this dish can be enjoyed guilt-free and may even contribute to your overall well-being.