Treat yourself to the delicious combination of savory carrot and invigorating ginger with this delicious bread. This tempting treat is ideal for anyone who enjoys the taste of ginger cake and carrot cake. It gets even better as it matures over a few days. The harmonious blend of aromatic spices and the natural sweetness of the carrots will enchant your taste buds, while the juicy consistency of the loaf will leave you wanting more. Treat yourself to a piece of this heavenly creation and enjoy the perfect balance of flavors.
- 100g unsalted butter, plus some butter for the tin
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 50 g black treacle
- 50g golden syrup (or use more black syrup if you like your ginger cake very dark)
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- 1 large carrot, grated (you will need 140g pulp)
- 5 scoops of ginger from a jar, finely chopped
- 175g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 140g powdered sugar
Like most ginger cakes, this one gets softer and better over the course of a few days. If you can bear to wait, put it in an airtight container without ice and finish decorating the day you plan to eat it.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Then line a 900 g loaf pan with butter and a strip of baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar, syrup, treacle and half of the zest in a large saucepan.
- Heat gently until everything is melted.
- Add the carrot, ¾ of the chopped ginger, all the flour, bicarb, ¼ teaspoon salt, ground ginger, pepper and eggs to the pan and mix well until a smooth dough forms.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until the dough is dark brown and risen and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl, add the remaining lemon peel, then stir in enough lemon juice (about 4 teaspoons is enough) to create a smooth, thick glaze.
- Cover the surface of the frosting with plastic wrap until you are ready to decorate the cake.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the glaze on top and let it drip down the sides.
- Sprinkle with the reserved chopped ginger.
- Allow to set, then slice and serve.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the Zesty carrot and ginger loaf you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A loaf pan (greased with extra butter)
- A grater for the carrot
- A cutting board and a knife for the stem ginger
- A mixing bowl
- A sieve
- A whisk
Zesty Carrot Ginger Bread contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (unsalted butter)
- Gluten (self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make Zesty Carrot Ginger Bread in advance, here are some storage tips:
- Wait for the bread to cool completely before storing it.
- Store the unfrozen bread in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
- The bread will become softer and better over the course of a few days.
- On the day you want to eat it, you can finish the decoration with powdered sugar.
Health Benefits of Zesty Carrot & Ginger Loaf
The Zesty Carrot & Ginger Loaf is not only a delicious treat but also offers several health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this bread is a nutritious option for anyone who wants to enjoy a sweet treat while maintaining a balanced diet.
One of the main ingredients of this bread is grated carrots. Carrots are known for their high vitamin A content, which plays a crucial role in maintaining good vision and overall eye health. They are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
The addition of ginger not only provides a spicy and warming taste, but also brings numerous health benefits. Ginger has long been used as a natural remedy for nausea and digestive problems. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve muscle pain and soreness. Ginger also contains antioxidants that can strengthen the immune system and protect against cell damage.
3. Oranges and lemons
The zest and juice of oranges and lemons add a hint of citrus flavor to the loaf. These fruits are known for their high vitamin C content, which acts as an antioxidant, supports immune function and promotes collagen production for healthy skin. Citrus fruits also provide important minerals and contribute to hydration.
4. Black treacle and golden syrup
The dark muscovado sugar, black syrup, and golden syrup in this recipe provide the perfect sweetness. Although these ingredients should be enjoyed in moderation, they add a rich flavor and texture to the bread. However, it is important to watch your sugar consumption, especially if you have medical conditions such as diabetes or are watching your weight.
5. Self-raising flour and baking soda
Using self-raising flour and baking soda in this recipe ensures a light and fluffy texture. In addition, these leavening agents make the bread easier to digest and prevent it from being heavy on the stomach.
This recipe calls for eggs, which are a good source of protein and essential nutrients. Eggs are rich in vitamins such as vitamin B12, which is important for brain function, and vitamin D, which supports bone health.
By incorporating the Zesty Carrot & Ginger Loaf into your diet, you can enjoy a flavorful dessert while reaping the benefits of its nutritious ingredients. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is always important to enjoy treats in moderation.