Get your kids involved in making this easy Mexican vegetable buffet with healthy beans and avocado. These Spicy Bean Avocado Tostados are a delicious and nutritious option for lunch or dinner. With a combination of tangy spices, creamy avocado, and savory beans, each tostado is full of delicious goodness. The crispy tortillas form the perfect base and add a delicious crunch to every bite. Whether you’re hosting a family gathering or just looking for a quick and healthy meal, these tostados are sure to be a hit with everyone at the table.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 400 g canned beans
- large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 200g can of kidney beans in water, rinsed
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 50g vegetarian cheddar
- 1 green chili, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- a handful of coriander leaves for serving
Refried beans aren’t fried?
Refried beans aren’t fried at all – they’re super healthy pinto beans that are simply cooked down with spices and seasonings.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Place 2 tortillas on a large baking sheet and grill for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the refried beans, cayenne pepper, kidney beans and cherry tomatoes.
- Divide half of the bean mixture between the tortillas.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese and half of the chili slices on each tortilla.
- Grill the tortillas again until the cheese melts.
- Lift the tortillas onto plates.
- Top with half of the avocado and cilantro and serve.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the spicy bean and avocado tostados you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- frying pan
- cutting board
The Spicy Bean Avocado Tostados Recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (found in flour tortillas)
- Cheddar cheese (be aware of possible milk allergies when using)
Please note that this recipe may also contain traces of other allergens not listed. It is always important to check the labels of the specific ingredients you use and ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you still have leftover spicy bean and avocado tostados, here are some storage tips:
- Store the remaining ingredients separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- The flour tortillas will keep for a few days, but they taste best fresh.
- The refried beans, kidney beans, cherry tomatoes, green chilies and avocado slices can be stored for up to 3 days.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the leftovers, reheat the refried beans and kidney beans in a skillet until heated through.
- Assemble the toastos with the reheated beans and the remaining ingredients for a quick and delicious meal.
Remember to use your own judgment and check for signs of spoilage before consuming leftover ingredients.
The Health Benefits of Spicy Bean and Avocado Tostados
In Mexican cuisine, the combination of spices, beans and avocado can result in a nutritious and filling meal. An example of this are the Spicy Bean & Avocado Tostados. Packed with healthy ingredients and full of flavor, these tostados offer a range of health benefits. Let’s dive in and explore the nutritional benefits of this delicious recipe.
1. Nutrient-rich beans
The base of these tostados are refried beans that will surprise you with their healthiness. Contrary to their name, refried beans are boiled and not fried. They are made from cooked and pureed pinto beans, creating a creamy and flavorful spread. Beans are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They can support heart health, help control blood sugar levels and aid digestion.
2. Cayenne pepper and green chili for a kick
Adding a pinch of cayenne pepper and thinly sliced green chili to the tostados not only enhances their fiery flavor but also has health benefits. Both cayenne pepper and green chile peppers contain a compound called capsaicin, which has been shown to boost metabolism, reduce appetite, and aid weight loss. These spicy additives may also have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
3. Avocado, a nutritional powerhouse
The creamy, buttery avocado slices on the tostados provide more than just a delicious taste. Avocado is rich in healthy fats, especially monounsaturated fats, which have positive effects on heart health. This superfood also contains important vitamins, including vitamin E and vitamin K, as well as potassium, fiber and antioxidants. Eating avocados can contribute to improved cholesterol levels, better nutrient absorption and overall well-being.
4. Healthy Supplements
The Spicy Bean & Avocado Tostados recipe wouldn’t be complete without its other healthy ingredients. Kidney beans are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber and various minerals. Cherry tomatoes add a burst of flavor and are rich in vitamins A and C. Vegetarian cheddar, while optional, adds a touch of creamy texture along with some calcium. Topped off with fresh coriander leaves, the whole thing not only rounds off the taste, but also provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
In summary, this Spicy Bean Avocado Tostados recipe showcases the nutritional benefits of its ingredients, including the protein and fiber of beans, the metabolism-boosting properties of cayenne pepper and green chile, the heart-healthy fats in avocados, and the various vitamins and minerals from all the ingredients. Enjoying these tostados not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides your body with vital nutrients.