This Spiced Vegetables with Lemony Bulgur Wheat Salad recipe is a delicious combination of warm and vibrant flavors. It’s the perfect choice for a vegetarian meal that satisfies your taste buds and nourishes your body.
Every bite of this salad is an explosion of Moroccan-inspired spices and flavors. The vegetable mix of peppers, zucchini and carrots gives the dish a beautiful palette of colors and makes it visually appealing and inviting.
But it’s not just about looks – the lemony bulgur wheat provides a refreshing and spicy note and perfectly complements the strong flavors of the seasoned vegetables. It’s a healthy and filling salad that proves that vegetarian meals can be exciting and full of flavor.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tsp Harissa (we used Belazu Rose Harissa)
- 2 small eggplants, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into pieces
- 140g bulgar wheat
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- large handful of mint leaves, chopped
- Greek yogurt for serving (optional)
Bulghar wheat is made from whole wheat
that has been cooked, dried and chopped.
It is rich in B vitamins, iron and fiber
lower in calories than rice.Know your spices
Harissa, a Moroccan spice paste, is available
in most large supermarkets. If you can’t get it
Hold it and mix equal amounts of it
ground coriander, cumin and paprika
1 tsp tomato paste.
- Mix oil, honey and harissa together.
- Drizzle half of the mixture over the eggplant and peppers.
- Season the vegetables well.
- Heat a grill pan.
- Cook the vegetables in the grill pan for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are lightly charred and cooked through.
- Place the bulgar wheat in a large bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the bulgar wheat, making sure to cover well.
- Let the bulghar wheat rest for 10 minutes until it is soft and plump.
- Drain the bulgar wheat.
- Pour the remaining dressing, lemon juice, zest and mint leaves over the drained bulgur wheat.
- Season the bulgar wheat mixture well.
- Mix everything together and make sure that the bulgar wheat is evenly covered with the dressing.
- Serve the roasted vegetables on the bulghar wheat.
- Drizzle the dish with yogurt if desired.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
- citrus press
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the seasoned vegetables before serving. The bulgur wheat salad also tastes great served cold as a refreshing salad the next day.
Bulghar wheat is made from whole wheat that has been cooked, dried and crushed. It is a nutritious grain that offers several health benefits:
- Rich in B vitamins: Bulghar wheat contains various B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and vitamin B6. These vitamins are important for converting food into energy, maintaining healthy skin, supporting brain function, and promoting cell growth and repair.
- Good source of iron: Iron is necessary for the production of red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body. Adequate iron intake can prevent anemia and increase energy levels.
- Rich in fiber: Bulghar wheat is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes intestinal activity and helps maintain a healthy weight. Fiber also helps control blood sugar levels and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Less calories than rice: For those watching their calorie intake, bulgar wheat is a great alternative to rice. It has fewer calories and a lower glycemic index, meaning it affects blood sugar levels more slowly.
Know your spices
Harissa, a Moroccan spice paste, is the main ingredient in this recipe. However, if you can’t find harissa, you can make a substitute using common spices:
- Mix equal amounts of ground coriander, cumin and paprika.
- Add 1 teaspoon of tomato puree to enhance the flavor.
Although the specific combination may not reflect the exact taste of harissa, it will still add a delicious and aromatic touch to your dish.