Introducing our delicious Spiced Smoked Haddock Fish Cakes recipe! These delicious treats offer a perfect flavor combination that will leave you wanting more. Thick pieces of smoky haddock are infused with a delicious blend of aromatic spices for a sensational taste experience like no other.
With a crispy outer layer that adds a delicious crunch to every bite, these fish cakes are guaranteed to satisfy your appetite. Whether as a snack, appetizer or main course, these extra-crunchy haddock fish cakes are infused with flavors that will leave you wanting for seconds. So treat yourself to this irresistible recipe and treat yourself to a culinary treat!
- 900 g floury potatoes, e.g. B. Maris Piper or King Edward, peeled and cut into pieces
- 350g undyed, smoked haddock fillet
- 300 ml milk
- about 5 tablespoons peanut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g jumbo oat flakes
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the smoked haddock in a large, shallow, microwave-safe bowl and pour the milk over it.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, prick a few times, then microwave for 4 minutes until the fish flakes easily. Alternatively, you can simmer the fish in a pan on the stove for 5 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and fry the onion, ginger and pepper until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the potatoes and fish are ready, drain them both.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and remove the skin and any bones from the fish.
- Mix potatoes, fish and onions with coriander, lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into eight portions, roll each portion into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Dip each fish cake in the beaten egg, then brush with oatmeal.
- Place the breaded fish cakes on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for half an hour to firm up.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan until very hot.
- Fry 4 fish cakes on each side for 5-6 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the finished fish cakes and drain them on kitchen paper.
- Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels and fry the remaining fish cakes in another 2 tablespoons oil. Make sure it is hot before adding them.
- Serve the fish cakes hot with lemon wedges and a cucumber yogurt dip.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- Fine sieve
- frying pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Potato masher or fork
- Wide spatula
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish (smoked haddock)
- Dairy products (milk)
- Gluten (oats)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover seasoned smoked haddock cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. To reheat, place them in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes, until heated through. Serve with lemon wedges.
Health Benefits of Seasoned Smoked Haddock Fishcakes
Spiced, smoked haddock cakes not only tantalize your taste buds with their delicious flavors but also provide numerous health benefits. This delicious recipe combines the benefits of smoked haddock, potatoes and essential herbs and spices, making it a nutritious and healthy dish that you can enjoy guilt-free. Let’s look at some of the health benefits that the main ingredients of these fish cakes provide.
The star of this recipe, smoked haddock, is a lean source of protein that supports muscle growth and repair. It contains essential amino acids necessary for the synthesis of enzymes, hormones and other vital components in the body. Protein intake also helps boost metabolism and promote satiety, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking to control or lose weight.
Smoked haddock is also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health. These healthy fats help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids are also essential for proper brain function and may contribute to improved cognitive abilities and reduced risk of certain mental disorders.
The floury potatoes used in this recipe, such as Maris Piper or King Edward, are a good source of carbohydrates, fiber and essential nutrients. Carbohydrates are the body’s primary source of energy and promote physical activity and brain function. Additionally, the fiber content in potatoes aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels, contributing to overall gut health.
Potatoes also contain several important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, supports the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin and tissue. At the same time, potassium is crucial for maintaining proper heart function and controlling blood pressure.
herbs and spices
The use of herbs and spices in these fish cakes not only provides delicious flavors but also additional health benefits. Grated fresh ginger root adds a spicy and aromatic note while providing potential anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits. Ginger is known to relieve nausea, soothe muscle pain, and soothe digestive problems.
Paprika, another spice used in this recipe, contains a compound called capsaicin. This compound is associated with various health benefits, including pain relief, improved digestion, and potential effects on weight control.
Spiced, smoked haddock cakes offer a healthy combination of flavor and nutritional value. From the lean proteins and omega-3 fatty acids in smoked haddock to the energy-boosting carbohydrates and essential nutrients in potatoes, this recipe is a comprehensive choice for a healthy and satisfying meal. With the added benefits of herbs and spices, these fish cakes will not only tantalize your taste buds but also contribute to your overall well-being.