A delicious twist on the classic kedgeree, Spiced Rice with Herring and Poached Eggs features irresistibly soft and runny egg yolks instead of hard-boiled ones. This delicious dish is perfect for a comforting and filling dinner or a delicious brunch. The fragrant spices incorporated into the rice give the rice a special burst of flavor that highlights the juicy kippers and perfectly poached eggs. With its combination of textures and delicious flavors, this seasoned rice with herring and poached eggs is sure to become a favorite. Enjoy it as a simple yet impressive meal that will leave you wanting more!
- 2 thick kippers, about 650 g total weight
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- Seeds from 2-3 cardamom pods
- a good pinch of saffron threads or ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dried red chili or 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 225g basmati rice
- 600 ml fish stock or water
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 4 eggs
- Place the kippers in a pan, cover with hot water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, cover the pan, and leave the kippers in the hot water while you start making the rice.
- Crush the spices and chili with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, deep pan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the crushed spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock or water and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is tender.
- There must still be some moisture in the pan. If dry, add more liquid and continue cooking. Taste and season.
- Shred the fish, removing all skin and bones.
- Gently fold the fish and coriander into the rice, then cover and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- At the same time, poach the eggs for about 2-4 minutes, until the whites are just cooked but the yolks are soft.
- Place the eggs on a plate over the rice and finish with a pinch of black pepper.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- Small pot
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Wooden spoon or spatula
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
Please check the ingredients and ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When reheating, make sure you heat it thoroughly before consuming.
Health Benefits of Seasoned Rice with Herring and Poached Eggs
Spiced rice with herring and poached eggs is not only a filling and tasty dish but also offers several health benefits. This article explores the nutritional value and benefits of the ingredients used in this recipe.
The star of this dish is the smoked and salted herrings. They are an excellent source of protein, essential omega-3 fatty acids, and various vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 fatty acids contribute to heart health by reducing inflammation and lowering harmful cholesterol levels in the blood. In addition, smoking woods contain impressive amounts of vitamin B12, which supports brain function and helps maintain healthy nerve cells.
Whole coriander seeds
Adding whole coriander seeds not only improves the taste but also provides health benefits. Coriander seeds are rich in antioxidants that protect the body from free radical damage. They also have anti-inflammatory properties that can ease the symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. Additionally, coriander seeds are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
Whole cumin seeds
Cumin, another spice in this recipe, is known for its digestive effects. They can help relieve indigestion, gas and bloating. Cumin seeds also contain compounds with antimicrobial properties and may help fight certain infections. Additionally, cumin is rich in iron, which supports the production of healthy red blood cells and prevents iron deficiency anemia.
Black peppercorns not only add a spicy touch to the dish but also provide various health benefits. They contain a compound called piperine, which has been shown to improve the body’s absorption of certain nutrients such as vitamin B and selenium. Additionally, black pepper has antioxidant and antibacterial properties that can support overall health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Cardamom pods, with their distinct sweet and spicy taste, not only add flavor to this dish but also health benefits. Known for its digestive properties, cardamom helps relieve symptoms of indigestion, gas and bloating. It also contains compounds that may have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, protecting the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
Saffron threads or turmeric
Both saffron threads and turmeric give the spiced rice vibrant colors and unique flavors. Saffron is known for its antioxidant properties that help reduce inflammation and improve mood. Turmeric, on the other hand, contains curcumin, a compound with powerful anti-inflammatory effects that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and cancer.
Using olive oil in this recipe provides a dose of healthy fats. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, especially oleic acid, which have positive effects on heart health. It helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that protect against oxidative stress and inflammation.
Including seasoned rice with herring and poached eggs in your diet will not only tantalize your taste buds but also provide various health benefits. From the omega-3 fatty acids in herring to the antioxidant properties of spices like coriander, cumin, cardamom and black pepper – every ingredient contributes something valuable to your well-being. So why not enjoy this delicious and nutritious dish for a balanced and flavorful meal?