This Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita is a stunning vegetarian dish that is sure to please everyone at the table. With its unique aromas and delicious taste, it is truly special. The combination of perfectly seasoned seasoned potatoes formed into a cake and served with refreshing mint raita is a culinary match made in heaven.
Whether you are a vegetarian or just looking for a flavorful and exciting meal, this dish is sure to satisfy your taste buds. The fragrant spice blend adds depth and complexity to the humble potato, creating a delicious experience with every bite. Make this dish your favorite dish for an unforgettable dining experience that will leave your guests wanting more.
- 1.3 kg medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 125g butter
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (onion seeds)
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 4-5 fresh green chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 2 x 15g packs of fresh coriander
- 200g frozen peas
- Juice of one large lime
- 200g filo dough
- 200g pack of baby spinach
- 500g Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp mint sauce
Some brands of filo dough can be quite heavily floured, making the dough quite dry when baked. This is easy to avoid: just brush it with a soft-bristled pastry brush before buttering it.
- Place half of the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Add the remaining potatoes and simmer for 12 minutes, until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes and dice them.
- In a large pan, melt 85g butter and fry the cumin, fennel and black cumin seeds until they begin to crackle.
- Stir in ginger and onions, then cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft.
- Add turmeric, ground coriander and chili peppers and cook for a minute.
- Add the diced potatoes to the pan and cook, tossing them in the turmeric.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Chop half of the coriander leaves and add to the potatoes along with a heaped teaspoon of salt, peas and lime juice. Stir well and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter.
- Line the bottom and sides of a greased 23cm clip-on or loose-bottomed cake tin with phyllo dough.
- Brush each filo pastry sheet generously with melted butter as you place it butter side down in the tin.
- Build multiple layers of dough to achieve an even thickness throughout.
- Leave plenty of excess dough hanging over the pan.
- Place the spinach in the microwave and cook according to package instructions.
- Squeeze the excess juice out of the spinach and season.
- Pour half of the potato filling into the mold and wrap.
- Cover the filling with the cooked spinach.
- Top with remaining potato filling.
- Fold excess dough over to cover the filling.
- Brush the dough with more melted butter and sprinkle black cumin seeds on top.
- If desired, chill the cake overnight.
- To serve, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- In a food processor, combine yogurt, coconut cream, remaining cilantro, and mint sauce. Season with salt and pepper and stir until smooth.
- Serve the spiced potato cake with mint raita alongside a green salad with chopped lime juice-coated bananas, finely chopped red onions and sugar-coated cashews.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the spiced potato cake with mint raita, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- baking pan
- Pastry brush
The Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita contains the following allergenic ingredients:
- Dairy products (butter, Greek yogurt, coconut cream)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the dish to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place the desired portion in the oven at 180°C for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
The Health Benefits of Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita
The delicious flavor combination in Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita not only tantalizes your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. From nutritious potatoes to aromatic spices and refreshing mint, this dish is a real treat for your taste buds and your well-being.
Potatoes are a starchy vegetable and a rich source of carbohydrates that provide your body with energy. They also contain important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. Potatoes are low in fat and cholesterol and, when eaten as part of a balanced diet, can contribute to a healthy lifestyle.
The spiced potato cake gets its unique flavor from a variety of spices, including cumin, fennel seeds, black cumin seeds and ground turmeric. These spices not only add delicious flavor to the dish but also provide potential health benefits. For example, cumin seeds have antimicrobial properties and can aid digestion. Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The recipe also contains fresh ginger, onions, green chili and coriander. Ginger has long been used in traditional medicine for its potential anti-inflammatory and digestive effects. Onions are a source of antioxidants and may contribute to heart health. Green chili peppers not only add a spicy kick, but they also contain capsaicin, which can boost metabolism and reduce appetite. Coriander leaves provide important vitamins and minerals and are often used to support digestion.
The spiced potato cake is accompanied by a refreshing mint raita made from Greek yogurt, coconut cream and mint sauce. Greek yogurt is a good source of protein, calcium and probiotics that promote a healthy gut. Mint is known for its cooling properties and can aid digestion and relieve stomach discomfort.
By incorporating these healthy ingredients, the Spiced Potato Cake with Mint Raita will not only satisfy your hunger but also support your overall well-being. So why not enjoy this delicious and healthy dish today?