These Spiced Pea and Cilantro Fritters are a delicious addition to any meal. Made with fresh peas and zucchini, they’re bursting with flavor and texture. The donuts are incredibly easy to make and can be made in advance, making them perfect for busy days. For a delicious crunch, sprinkle with crispy spring onions before serving. And the icing on the cake? A refreshing mint yogurt dip that perfectly complements the donuts. With its cool and spicy taste, this dip forms an attractive contrast to the spiced donuts. A recipe that both vegetarians and non-vegetarians must try!
- 120 ml Greek yogurt
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp mint sauce (or 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves)
- 100g gluten-free plain white flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 zucchini, grated and the moisture squeezed out
- 60g peas (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- In a large bowl, mix all donut ingredients except the oil until well combined.
- To make the yogurt dip, simply mix all the ingredients in a small bowl with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- The dip can be prepared in the morning and refrigerated.
- When you’re ready to make the donuts, heat the oil over high heat (you want to make sure the oil is really hot, so be brave!).
- Carefully add 1 tbsp of batter to the pan – only add 4-5 tbsp at a time so as not to overcrowd the pan – and fry the batter for about 2 minutes on each side, until nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- The donuts can be fried a few hours before serving and then reheated in the oven.
- To reheat the donuts for serving, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the donuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and hot.
- Serve on a platter with feta and spring onions, with the mint yogurt dip on the side.
Equipment and tools
- measuring spoon
- Mixing spoon
- frying pan
This recipe contains dairy (Greek yogurt and feta) and eggs. It may not be suitable for those with milk or egg allergies.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover donuts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat in an oven preheated to 175°C (350°F) until heated through, about 10-12 minutes.
The Health Benefits of “Spiced Pea and Zucchini Fritters with Mint Yogurt Dip”
When it comes to healthy and tasty dishes, the recipe “Spiced Pea and Zucchini Fritters with Mint Yogurt Dip” stands out. Packed with nutritious ingredients, these donuts make a delicious guilt-free snack or meal. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of the main ingredients in this recipe.
1. Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt, used as the base for mint yogurt dip, is an excellent source of protein, calcium, and probiotics. It helps build and repair tissue, promotes healthy bones and supports gut health.
Garlic not only gives the donuts a wonderful taste, but is also known for its numerous health benefits. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, can improve cholesterol levels, and may even help boost the immune system.
3. Extra virgin olive oil
Using high-quality extra virgin olive oil provides healthy fats that help reduce the risk of heart disease. It is also rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Mint leaves and mint sauce not only give the dip a refreshing taste but also provide many health benefits. Mint is known to aid digestion, relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and may even help improve brain function.
5. Zucchini (zucchini)
Zucchini, also known as zucchini, is low in calories and high in nutrients. They are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes a healthy gut, and can even help with weight control.
Peas are a good source of plant protein and fiber. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K and folic acid. Peas can support heart health, boost the immune system and promote healthy digestion.
7. Coriander and cumin
Both coriander and cumin give the fritters a delicious flavor and provide several health benefits. Cilantro is rich in antioxidants, can help lower blood sugar levels and has anti-inflammatory properties. Cumin, on the other hand, promotes digestion, supports weight loss and may have antimicrobial properties.
Feta cheese sprinkled over the donuts adds a creamy and tangy flavor. Although feta cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high sodium content, it is a good source of calcium and protein.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your diet using the Spiced Pea and Zucchini Fritters with Mint Yogurt Dip recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy meal. Try this recipe and enjoy the benefits it offers!