Treat yourself to the delicious taste of our Spiced Pea & Potato Rolls, a delicious vegetarian dish that is not only incredibly healthy but also incredibly easy to prepare. Perfectly made with ingredients from your pantry, these rolls are bursting with aromatic spices that bring the dish to life. The combination of fresh peas and aromatic potatoes creates a filling and hearty filling, encased in a golden, crispy crust. Whether as a snack, side dish or main course, these rolls are sure to become a staple in your repertoire of favorite recipes. Simple, nutritious and absolutely delicious!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 300g potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 heaped tablespoon of curry paste
- 140g frozen or fresh peas
- 4 large filo pastry sheets, halved
- Tomato, onion and mango chutney to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Heat half of the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add the onions and fry until soft and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potato cubes for 5 minutes until just tender, then drain.
- Add the potatoes to the soft onions and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and 1 tablespoon water and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix everything well and season.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and let it cool slightly.
- Brush half of the filo half sheets with some of the remaining oil.
- Place the remaining leaves on top, creating 4 double layers.
- Place a quarter of the potato mixture along one edge of each filo sheet, leaving some space at both ends.
- Fold the ends in and then roll up to seal.
- Place the rolls seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush the buns with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve warm, with a dollop of mango chutney and a tomato and onion salad, if desired.
Equipment and tools
Here are the main equipment and tools you need to make spiced pea and potato rolls:
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- parchment paper
Please note the following allergen information before preparing the spiced pea and potato rolls:
- This recipe contains:
- Wheat flour (found in filo dough)
- It may also contain traces of:
- Milk or dairy products (depending on the curry paste used)
- Nuts (depending on the curry paste used)
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and enjoying leftover Spiced Pea Potato Rolls:
- Allow the rolls to cool completely before storing.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.
- Serve with tomatoes, onions and mango chutney for extra flavor.
Health Benefits of Spiced Pea and Potato Rolls
When it comes to delicious and nutritious vegetarian dishes, Spiced Pea & Potato Rolls take center stage. Packed with healthy ingredients, these rolls not only pamper your taste buds but also offer numerous health benefits. From providing essential nutrients to aiding digestion, these rolls are a wonderful addition to a balanced diet.
1. Vegetable oil
Spiced pea and potato rolls are prepared with vegetable oil or sunflower oil. These oils are low in saturated fats and high in unsaturated fats, making them heart-healthy options. The monounsaturated fats found in vegetable oils are known to help lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and improve cardiovascular health.
Finely chopped onions give the rolls a flavorful note. In addition to improving flavor, onions are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain a natural compound called quercetin, which can boost the immune system and fight certain chronic diseases.
Using small diced potatoes in this recipe adds a significant amount of essential vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. Vitamin C supports collagen production, while potassium supports heart health and maintains proper blood pressure. In addition, vitamin B6 is important for brain development and function.
4. Curry paste
One of the main flavors of Spiced Pea & Potato Rolls comes from the addition of curry paste. This paste is typically made from a mixture of different spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander and chili. Turmeric, the main ingredient, contains curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can potentially help relieve arthritis symptoms and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
Both frozen and fresh peas can be used in this recipe, giving the rolls a bright green color and sweet taste. Peas are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamin K, manganese and fiber. Vitamin K plays a key role in blood clotting and bone health, while manganese supports metabolism and antioxidant defenses in the body.
6. Filo dough
Spiced pea and potato rolls are wrapped in filo dough, which is a healthier alternative to other pastries. In contrast to puff pastry, filo pastry has less fat and calories. It gives the rolls a tender and crispy texture without compromising on taste.
7. Tomato, Onion and Mango Chutney
To enhance the flavor even further, these rolls can be served with a side of tomato, onion and mango chutney. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin A, which promote healthy skin, boost the immune system and support eye health. Onions, as mentioned, offer additional health benefits, while mango chutney adds a spicy and sweet touch to the dish.
Overall, spiced pea and potato rolls not only delight your taste buds but also offer a number of health benefits. By incorporating these rolls into your diet, you can enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal.