Would you like to add something delicious to your Sunday dinner? Our Spiced Parsnip Bubble & Squeak is the perfect choice! This delicious side dish can also easily turn heads as a delicious vegetarian main dish. The combination of spiced parsnips and fluffy Bubble & Squeak is a culinary match made in heaven. To make it even better, serve it alongside a generous dollop of tangy, chunky tomato chutney for a flavor explosion. Get ready for a taste experience that will leave you wanting more!
- 800g parsnips, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 savoy cabbage or 300 g Brussels sprouts, finely chopped
- large handful of frozen peas
- Juice 1?2 lemon
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 coriander sprigs for serving
Why not try…
Braised with honey
Parsnips and walnuts: Cut 500 g parsnips into pieces and fry in butter
until golden brown. Add 150 ml chicken stock and 1 tbsp
Add honey to the pan and simmer until all the liquid has evaporated
has evaporated and the parsnips are sticky. Throw
a handful of walnut pieces and some chopped
Scatter parsley among the parsnips and serve.
- Place the parsnips in a pot of cold water with the turmeric and a little salt and cook until just about to wilt, about 12 minutes.
- While the parsnips are cooking, blanch the cabbage or sprouts in another pot of boiling water until tender, 3 minutes. For the last minute, add the peas and then drain well.
- Drain the parsnips well, then return them to the pan and mash them roughly with the lemon juice and half the butter.
- Then stir in all the other ingredients except the remaining butter and season with salt.
- Heat the remaining butter in a non-stick frying pan with a diameter of about 28 cm and press the parsnip mixture into the pan.
- Fry the underside until crispy and then turn over with a slice of fish. (Don’t worry if it breaks at this point, it will hold up eventually.)
- Continue frying on the other side until crispy, then transfer to a plate and return to the pan.
- Keep doing this until you have a crispy, puck-shaped cake.
- Serve on a plate or board and cut into wedges.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products – butter
Please review the specific ingredients you are using and make any substitutions or omissions based on your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up in a pan or in the microwave before serving.
Note: The consistency and taste may change slightly when reheating.
Health Benefits of Spiced Parsnips Bubble & Squeak
Spiced Parsnip Bubble & Squeak is not only a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of each ingredient in this recipe.
Parsnips are the main ingredient of this dish and offer various health benefits. They are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy digestive system. In addition, parsnips are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which strengthen the immune system and protect against cell damage caused by free radicals.
The recipe includes a teaspoon of turmeric, a powerful spice known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to have potential benefits in reducing chronic inflammation, which is linked to various health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
Savoy cabbage or Brussels sprouts
For this recipe you can choose between savoy cabbage and Brussels sprouts, both of which offer excellent health benefits. This cruciferous vegetable is rich in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin K, vitamin C and folic acid. They also contain antioxidants and fiber, which contribute to overall health and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The addition of frozen peas provides a good source of plant-based protein, essential vitamins and minerals. Peas are particularly rich in vitamin K, vitamin C and manganese. They also contain fiber, which supports digestive health and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Lemon juice adds a refreshing touch to the dish and is an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissues, supports a healthy immune system and acts as an antioxidant, protecting the body from damage caused by harmful radicals.
Butter, cumin, garam masala, coriander and red chili
The butter and spices added to this recipe not only enhance the flavor but also provide various health benefits. When consumed in moderation, butter provides essential fats and fat-soluble vitamins. Cumin and garam masala, commonly used in Indian cuisine, are associated with potential anti-inflammatory and digestive effects. Coriander and red chili peppers add flavor and may aid digestion and metabolism.
Tip: Parsnips and walnuts braised in honey
If you want to try a variation of this dish, you can make honey-braised parsnips and walnuts. This alternative cooking method offers a unique flavor profile and additional health benefits. Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for brain health and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Enjoy the Spiced Parsnip Bubble & Squeak dish with its combination of aromatic and nutritious ingredients!