Indian cheese paneer is a fantastic choice for vegetarians looking for a tasty and filling dish. In particular, it has the unique property of retaining its shape when cooked, which further adds to its appeal. This spiced paneer recipe combines the fragrant essence of fenugreek and the aromatic blend of garam masala, enhancing its taste and aroma. With its combination of traditional Indian flavors and the versatility of paneer, this dish will satisfy and delight both vegetarian and non-vegetarian palates alike.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 400g paneer, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- small piece of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red and 1 small green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- Heat 1cm of oil in a large frying pan and fry the paneer in batches until golden brown – make sure the oil sputters out. Put it on paper towels.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the coriander seeds, ginger, chilli and onions until lightly golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the other spices and honey, stir and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the paneer to the sauce and stir. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the chopped coriander and grated ginger.
- Serve sprinkled with peppers and spring onions.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the seasoned paneer, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
The spiced paneer recipe contains the following allergens:
- Paneer (contains dairy products)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from the spiced paneer recipe, here are some storage tips:
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use within 2-3 days.
Health Benefits of Spiced Paneer
Paneer is a type of Indian cheese known for its rich, creamy texture and mild flavor. Combined with a blend of aromatic spices and a variety of delicious ingredients, it creates a popular dish called Spiced Paneer. It not only tantalizes your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore some of them.
Good source of protein
One of the key health benefits of spiced paneer is its high protein content. Paneer itself is full of proteins that are essential for various functions in the body. Protein helps build and repair tissue, supports muscle growth, strengthens the immune system and maintains healthy hair and nails.
Rich in calcium
Paneer is an excellent source of calcium, an essential mineral for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Including spiced paneer in your diet can help prevent bone diseases such as osteoporosis and promote overall bone health.
Packed with vitamins
The combination of paneer and spices in this dish adds a number of vitamins to your diet. The tomatoes, onions and peppers used in the recipe provide vitamins A, C and K as well as several B vitamins. These vitamins play a crucial role in maintaining good vision, supporting immune function, promoting skin health, aiding digestion, and more.
The spices used in seasoned paneer like coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and ginger have powerful antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reduce oxidative stress and protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and inflammation.
Certain spices such as garam masala, ginger and chili powder used in seasoned paneer have thermogenic properties, meaning they can stimulate metabolism and promote fat burning. Including spiced paneer in your balanced diet can help in weight control and healthy digestion.
Spiced paneer not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Its high protein content, calcium, vitamin-rich ingredients, antioxidant properties and metabolism-stimulating spices make it a nutritious addition to your diet. Incorporate this tasty dish into your meals for a healthy and satisfying dining experience.