Introducing our delicious hotpot with spiced mushrooms and lentils, a real winner for cozy winter nights. This healthy and nutritious dish is not only vegan, but is also guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family. This low-calorie, low-fat casserole is made with a generous helping of fiber-rich lentils and earthy mushrooms and topped with a flavorful layer of potatoes. It meets all the requirements for a hearty meal without a guilty conscience.
Treat yourself to this inviting creation knowing that you are also enjoying a dish that contributes to your daily vegetable intake. Our Spiced Mushroom and Lentil Hotpot is an excellent source for three of the recommended five meals per day. Warm your soul with this incredible flavor combination and feel good about the choices you make for your health.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 300g mini portobello mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 x 400g cans of green lentils, drained and rinsed (drained weight 240g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into very thin slices
- 1 large potato, sliced very thinly
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves picked
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
2. Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan.
3. Sauté the onion for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms.
4. Cook for another 3 minutes, then increase the heat.
5. Add garlic, ground cumin and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
6. Remove from heat and add lentils, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and 100ml water.
7. Season the mixture.
8. Pour the mixture into a baking dish.
9. Rinse the pot and place it back on the hob.
10. Add a kettle of boiling water and bring to a boil again over high heat.
11. Add the potato slices and cook for 3 minutes.
12. Drain the potato slices.
13. Arrange the potato slices on the lentils.
14. Brush the potato slices with the remaining oil.
15. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown.
16. Sprinkle the thyme over the dish before serving.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- A garlic press
- Medium pot
- Vegetable peeler
- Thyme sprig
This recipe contains soy. Please be careful if you have a soy allergy.
Storage and leftovers
This seasoned mushroom and lentil stew can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply place in the microwave or gently heat on the stove until warmed through.
The Health Benefits of Spiced Mushroom and Lentil Stew
When it comes to comfort food, spiced mushroom and lentil stew is a fantastic choice. Not only is it delicious and filling, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the key ingredients and their nutritional value.
The spiced mushroom and lentil stew contains mini portobello mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms. These edible mushrooms are rich in essential nutrients and offer numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of vitamins B and D, which play a crucial role in maintaining a healthy immune system. Additionally, mushrooms are low in calories and fat and high in fiber, making them a good choice for weight control and maintaining a healthy digestive system.
This hotpot recipe features green lentils, a type of legume that is both nutritious and hearty. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, making them an excellent option for vegetarians and vegans. They also contain large amounts of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes regular bowel movements. Lentils are packed with essential minerals such as iron, magnesium and potassium, which are important for maintaining optimal body functions.
3. Sweet potato and potato
This stew contains both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, providing a flavorful and nutritious base. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that is converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is important for promoting healthy vision and supporting a robust immune system. Regular potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates as well as vitamins B and C.
Thyme, a popular culinary herb, is included in this stew for its aromatic and medicinal properties. Thyme is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that can strengthen the immune system and protect against certain chronic diseases.
Overall, the spiced mushroom and lentil stew not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From the immune-boosting mushrooms to the nutrient-dense lentils to the antioxidant-rich thyme, each ingredient contributes to a nutritious and satisfying meal.