The spice mix in the meringues and the juicy plums add a Christmas touch to this budget-friendly dinner party dessert. These spiced meringues are delicately crispy on the outside and incredibly fluffy on the inside. The subtle notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves perfectly complement the sweetness of the coffee-soaked plums. This impressive dessert is not only affordable but also a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Serve these delicious treats at your next gathering and your guests will be coming back for more. Treat yourself to the festive spirit with this irresistible flavor combination.
- 3 egg whites (left over from the fish pies, see “Goes well with this” below)
- 175g powdered sugar
- ½ tsp spice mixture
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 50g powdered sugar
- 250g pack of ready-to-eat, pitted plums
- 285 ml and 142 ml pot of double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2 and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat with an electric whisk until thickened and fluffy.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until the mixture is stiff and shiny. Fold in the spice.
- Quickly place eight large spoonfuls of meringue evenly spaced on the baking sheets.
- Then flatten them slightly with the back of a spoon and hollow out the center to create nest shapes.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then turn off the oven and let the meringues cool for 4 hours or overnight.
- Can be made 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
- Put the coffee and sugar in a pot with 200 ml of water. Add the plums, bring to a boil, then stir to dissolve the coffee.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated.
- To serve, whip the cream until it holds its shape.
- Pour onto the meringues and top with the plums and a little juice.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Parchment paper or baking mat
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (double cream)
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not listed. It is always important to check the specific ingredients and products used to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to store the spiced meringues with coffee-soaked plums:
- Place any leftover meringue in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you have leftover prunes or cream, you can store them separately:
- Transfer any leftover plums to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to a week.
- Keep the remaining double cream in the original container and refrigerate for up to three days.
Before enjoying leftovers, always check for signs of spoilage or changes in texture and flavor.
Health benefits of spiced meringues with coffee-soaked plums
Spiced meringues with coffee-soaked plums not only offer a delicious flavor combination but also come with several health benefits. This delicious dessert is not only a treat for your taste buds but also has high nutritional value. Let’s explore the health benefits of some key ingredients used in this recipe.
The recipe calls for three egg whites, which are an excellent source of high-quality proteins. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy option for anyone who wants to watch their weight. In addition, protein contains important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, selenium and riboflavin.
Although powdered sugar is a sweetener, it is used in moderation in this recipe. While it’s important to consume added sugars in limited amounts, using powdered sugar can help satisfy your sweet tooth without overdoing it. Remember: moderation is key when it comes to sugar consumption.
Adding a spice blend not only adds flavor, but also brings potential health benefits. Spices commonly used in spice blends such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice are rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
The recipe includes two tablespoons of instant coffee, which not only enhances the flavor of the dessert but may also provide some health benefits. Coffee is a rich source of antioxidants, particularly chlorogenic acid, which has been linked to various health benefits. Studies suggest that moderate coffee consumption may help reduce the risk of certain diseases, including type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.
Ready-to-eat pitted plums
Pitted plums soaked in coffee give this dessert a unique touch. Prunes are a good source of fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and can prevent constipation. They also contain sorbitol, a natural sugar alcohol that acts as a mild laxative. Plums are also rich in vitamins and minerals, including potassium, vitamin K and vitamin A.
Double cream is a rich source of healthy fats. While consumption should be in moderation due to its high calorie and fat content, small amounts of cream can be part of a balanced diet. The cream gives the dessert a velvety texture and provides energy.
With its combination of protein-rich egg whites, antioxidant-rich spices, and the added benefits of coffee-soaked prunes, this spiced meringue dessert offers both a delicious treat and potential health benefits. So treat yourself to this delicious dessert guilt-free, knowing that it not only satisfies your sweet cravings, but also contains several beneficial ingredients.