Sweet potatoes are a versatile vegetable that add a unique twist to this delicious Indian Spiced Potato Wraps recipe. Not only do they provide a touch of natural sweetness, but they are also packed with important nutrients and fiber. A healthier alternative to traditional potato-based dishes, these wraps provide a nutritious and delicious meal. The sweet potatoes complement the aromatic spice mixture perfectly and ensure a comforting and satisfying taste profile. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or just looking for a tasty vegetarian option, these Spiced Indian Potato Wraps are sure to become a new favorite in your kitchen.
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut into rough pieces
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice 1 lime
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6-9 chapatis
- 150 ml natural yogurt
- large bunch of coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the sweet potatoes with the chili, 1 teaspoon of oil, cumin, garam masala and plenty of spices on a roasting tray.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 25-35 minutes, turning the wedges halfway through, until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in the remaining oil for a few minutes until partially softened.
- Mix the lime juice and sugar with some spices, then turn off the heat.
- Heat the chapatis according to the package instructions.
- Assemble the wraps by adding a few sweet potato wedges to each chapati.
- Scatter the onions over the sweet potato.
- Add a dollop of yogurt and a small handful of coriander leaves.
- Roll up the wraps and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
To prepare the Spiced Indian Potato Wraps you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Tongs or spatula
- Big bowl
This Indian Spiced Potato Wraps recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following ingredients:
- Wheat (found in chapatis)
- Dairy products (found in natural yogurt)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Spiced Indian Potato Wraps, you can save them for later. Here’s how:
- Place the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, wrap leftovers in foil and reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Spiced Indian Potato Wraps
The Indian spiced potato wraps are not only delicious but also offer various health benefits. This article explores some of the key ingredients in the recipe and the positive effects they can have on your well-being.
Sweet potatoes, the main ingredient in these wraps, are full of essential nutrients. They are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
The addition of red chili provides more than just a spicy kick. Chili peppers contain a compound called capsaicin, which has been shown to have various health benefits. Capsaicin is known to boost metabolism, reduce inflammation, and even act as a natural pain reliever.
Using olive oil in this recipe has several benefits. It is a heart-healthy oil rich in monounsaturated fats that may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil is also a good source of antioxidants and can contribute to overall skin health.
Cumin seeds not only provide a special taste, but are also known for their medicinal properties. They can aid digestion, boost immunity, and have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
The garam masala spice blend used in these wraps adds a special flavor and also offers health benefits. It typically contains spices like coriander, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, which are rich in antioxidants and can aid digestion.
Red onions not only improve taste but also provide health benefits. They are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and various antioxidants, which can boost the immune system and help fight inflammation.
Lime juice not only adds a tang to the recipe, but also provides vitamin C, which plays an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system.
Chapatis, the wholemeal flatbreads in which the spiced potatoes are wrapped, are a healthier alternative to refined flour bread. They are lower in calories and have a higher nutritional value as they contain fiber, protein and B vitamins.
Serving the wraps with plain yogurt not only improves the taste but also adds probiotics to the meal. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can improve gut health and aid digestion.
Adding a large bunch of cilantro adds freshness to the dish but also offers various health benefits. Cilantro is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and has been proven to aid digestion and lower blood sugar levels.