This festive bread can be made in advance and frozen, making it the perfect addition to your holiday breakfast. The scent of warm spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves fills your kitchen and creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere. The bread is delicately sweetened with a touch of brown sugar and filled with a mixture of nuts and dried fruits, providing a delicious crunch and an explosion of flavor. Served warm and spread with butter or jam, it is a delicious and festive treat to start your Christmas celebrations. Spread Christmas cheer and treat yourself to this delicious spiced bread!
- 450 g strong white bread flour, plus some flour for kneading
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp easy-to-mix yeast
- 200 ml whole milk
- 50g unsalted butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g walnut pieces, lightly roasted
- 85g raisins
- 1 egg yolk for glazing
- Butter and jam for serving
- Sift flour, salt and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Stir in sugar and yeast and form a well in the middle.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, add the butter and heat gently until the butter is melted.
- Pour the melted butter and milk mixture into the well.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the well.
- Gradually mix the ingredients in the bowl until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough vigorously for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with oiled cling film and let it rest in a warm place for 1 ½ hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Lightly butter a 900g loaf tin.
- Punch the air out of the dough and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface again.
- Knead the dough again until it is smooth.
- Knead in the walnuts and raisins.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces.
- Form each piece into an oval ball.
- Place each ball side by side in the prepared loaf pan.
- Cover the can loosely with oiled cling film.
- Leave the mold in a warm place for 30 minutes until the dough has risen to the edge of the mold.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C top/bottom heat/Gas 6.
- Mix the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Brush the risen loaf with the egg yolk.
- Bake the loaf for 20 minutes.
- Once nicely browned, cover the loaf loosely with a double layer of foil.
- Lower the oven temperature to 160 °C fan/180 °C top/bottom heat/gas 4.
- Bake the loaf for another 20 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out of the pan and tap the bottom to check if it sounds hollow, indicating it is done.
- If it doesn’t sound hollow, put the bread back in the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the seasoned bread lightly toasted with butter and jam.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
This Christmas morning spice bread recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from bread flour)
- Dairy products (from milk and butter)
- Tree nuts (walnuts)
Please ensure that the specific brand ingredients you use do not contain any other allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this spiced bread on Christmas morning, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. To keep the bread fresh longer, you can freeze it in slices or as a whole loaf.
To freeze, wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or place in a freezer-safe bag. When you’re ready to enjoy the bread again, simply thaw it at room temperature or reheat it in the toaster or oven.
For the best taste and texture, it is recommended to consume the bread within 3 months of freezing.
If serving leftovers, you can warm the bread slightly and spread butter and jam on it for extra flavor.
The Health Benefits of Spiced Bread on Christmas Morning
Christmas morning is a special time full of joy and anticipation, and what better way to start the day than with a warm piece of homemade spiced bread on Christmas morning? This delicious bread is bursting with flavor thanks to a combination of aromatic spices and healthy ingredients. Not only does it make your taste buds dance, but it also offers several health benefits that you can enjoy guilt-free. Let’s take a closer look at the delights this delicious bread brings to your breakfast table.
1. Nutritional powerhouse
The Christmas morning spice bread recipe calls for strong white bread flour, which provides a good source of energy and essential nutrients. Flour serves as the base ingredient for bread and provides carbohydrates for fuel and fiber for healthy digestion. Additionally, the walnuts and raisins included in this recipe provide a rich array of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Known for their brain-like appearance, walnuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids that support brain health and reduce inflammation. They also contain vitamin E and polyphenols, which contribute to heart health and may even have anti-cancer properties. Raisins, on the other hand, are a concentrated source of natural sugar and fiber. They provide a boost of energy and can help regulate digestion.
2. Aromatic spice magic
Christmas morning spiced bread has its name for a reason. The mix of ground cinnamon in the recipe not only adds a festive flavor but also brings a number of health benefits. Cinnamon is known for its antioxidant properties and has been linked to improved blood sugar control, lower cholesterol and a lower risk of heart disease. It may also possess anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, making it a valuable addition to your holiday breakfast.
3. Strengthening immune function
A healthy immune system is crucial, especially in the cold winter months. The whole milk and eggs in this recipe provide important nutrients that support immune function and overall well-being. Whole milk is a rich source of vitamin D, which is essential for bone health. It also contains calcium and protein, promoting strong muscles and healthy teeth. Eggs, on the other hand, provide a good source of protein as well as numerous vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, selenium and choline. These nutrients play an important role in immune function, energy production and brain health.
4. Mindful enjoyment
Although spiced bread offers several health benefits on Christmas morning, it’s important to remember that moderation is key. The recipe contains light muscovado sugar and butter, which add sweetness and richness to the bread. Although these ingredients provide a delicious taste, they should be consumed carefully for a balanced diet. Controlling portion sizes and enjoying this bread as part of a varied and nutritious breakfast can ensure you enjoy both the taste and health benefits it has to offer.
In summary, spice bread isn’t just a festive treat on Christmas morning; It is a healthy and tasty breakfast option packed with nutritional benefits. From nutritious flour, walnuts and raisins to immune-boosting milk and eggs, this bread will delight both your taste buds and your wellbeing. So, gather your loved ones, slice a warm piece of this aromatic bread and let the healthy enjoyment begin!