Treat yourself to the delicious flavor combination of seasoned blackened shrimp and a refreshing clementine salsa. These prawns are perfectly seasoned with a spicy touch and create a tantalizing sensation on your taste buds. The spicy clementine salsa adds a hint of citrus and goes perfectly with the juicy shrimp. It’s a delicious dish that captures the essence of summer with every bite. For a unique twist, you can even replace the clementines with juicy tomatoes, giving the recipe a different but equally delicious flavor profile. Get ready to enjoy the harmonious blend of spices and fresh ingredients!
- 20 raw king prawns with shell
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lime, cut into wedges to serve
- 4 clementines, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- ½ small packet of coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Start by trimming the shrimp. Using a small serrated knife, cut the back of the shrimp through the shells and flesh from head to tail, just enough to allow you to open it, then remove the black entrails. Once all shrimp are butterflied, set aside.
- Mix all salsa ingredients in a bowl and season with some spices. Ideally, let the salsa sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients together with 1 teaspoon fine salt and 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper in a bowl. Brush the shrimp inside and out with the melted butter and then add the spice mixture.
- Heat two large skillets over high heat, add the shrimp and cook until just pink and the interior is opaque, 4-6 minutes.
- Serve on a board with salsa and lime wedges.
Equipment and tools
- Grill or stove
- cutting board
This recipe contains shellfish and dairy products. Please make sure you are not allergic to any of these ingredients before consuming.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Health Benefits of Seasoned Blackened Shrimp with Clementine Salsa
Spiced Blackened Shrimp with Clementine Salsa is not only a delicious and flavorful dish but also full of health benefits. Combining the goodness of shrimp, citrus, and a blend of spices, this recipe provides a nutritious and filling meal.
1. Rich in protein
The king prawns used in this recipe are an excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is essential for cell growth, repair and tissue maintenance in our bodies. Consuming an adequate amount of protein helps build and repair muscles, boosts metabolism, and promotes satiety.
2. Rich in vitamins
This dish contains clementine, lime and red onion, all of which are rich in vitamins. Clementines are packed with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system and collagen synthesis. In addition to vitamin A, lime also provides vitamin C, which has a positive effect on maintaining healthy skin, vision and immune function. Red onions contain vitamins C and B6, which are essential for overall health and well-being.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
The spices used in this recipe such as smoked paprika, garlic salt, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and cumin have anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation is linked to various health problems, including heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer. Consuming anti-inflammatory spices can help reduce inflammation in the body and improve overall health.
4. Heart healthy
Blackened shrimp cooked in unsalted butter and seasoned with spices is a heart-healthy option. Shrimp are low in saturated fat and high in omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on cardiovascular health. Omega-3 fatty acids help lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure and prevent the risk of heart disease.
5. Nutrient rich
This dish contains various ingredients that provide a wide range of essential nutrients. Cucumbers provide moisture, fiber, and vitamins K and C. Cilantro adds flavor and is a good source of antioxidants, vitamins A, C, and K, and minerals such as iron, calcium, and magnesium. Combined with the health benefits of other ingredients, this dish becomes a nutritious meal.
Overall, seasoned blackened shrimp with clementine salsa will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. It provides a protein-rich, vitamin-rich, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy and nutrient-dense meal option. So treat yourself to this delicious recipe without feeling guilty and enjoy the benefits it brings to your body and your well-being.