Looking for a delicious way to reuse your leftover roast or pre-cooked chicken? Then our Spiced Black Bean and Chicken Soup with Kale is perfect for you! This hearty and healthy South American inspired soup is the perfect way to enjoy a healthy and warming meal. Infused with flavors of cumin and chili, each spoonful will tantalize your taste buds and warm your soul. Packed with nutritious black beans and nutrient-dense kale, this soup is as healthy as it is flavorful. Don’t let those leftovers go to waste – turn them into something extraordinary with our delicious soup recipe!
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 2 thick garlic cloves, crushed
- small bunch of coriander stalks finely chopped, leaves picked off
- Zest 1 lime, then cut into wedges
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 175 g kale, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
- 250g leftover roast or fully cooked chicken
- 50g feta, crumbled, for serving
- Flour corn tortillas, toasted, for serving (see tip)
We like my tortillas to be slightly crispy and blistered. You can heat them in a dry skillet until they rise, or go all the easy route: Fold each tortilla into quarters, then place them point-side down in the toaster. Roast a little less time than normal bread.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the garlic, coriander stalks and lime zest to the pot.
- Fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in cumin and chili flakes.
- Fry for 1 more minute.
- Add tomatoes, beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mash the beans in the bottom of the pan with a potato masher to thicken the soup.
- Stir the kale into the soup.
- Simmer 5 minutes or until tender.
- Tear the chicken and let it heat up.
- Season with salt, pepper and the juice of half a lime.
- Serve in shallow bowls.
- Scatter feta and a few coriander leaves on top.
- Serve the remaining lime in wedges on the table.
- Serve with toasted tortillas on the side.
- If necessary, add more broth to adjust the thickness of the soup.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- Zester or grater
- tin opener
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Sprinkle dispenser (optional)
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products – feta cheese is included as a topping (optional)
- Serving suggestions include wheat flour and corn tortillas
Storage and leftovers
If you have any spices left over from the Black Bean and Chicken Kale Soup, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Before serving, heat in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Spiced Black Bean and Chicken Soup with Kale
Spiced Black Bean and Chicken Soup with Kale is not only a delicious and filling dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutrient-rich ingredients and how they contribute to your well-being:
1. Black beans
Black beans are a good source of plant-based protein, making this soup a great option for vegetarians and vegans. They are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety, which can prevent overeating.
Including leftover roast or fully cooked chicken in the soup adds lean protein to the dish. Protein is essential for cell repair and growth and helps keep you fuller for longer, which can be helpful in weight management.
Due to its high nutritional value, kale is often referred to as a superfood. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as calcium and iron. These nutrients support, among other things, strong bones, a healthy immune system and optimal blood clotting.
Not only does garlic improve the flavor of the soup, but it also offers potential health benefits. It contains compounds with antimicrobial properties that can strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of certain infections.
Coriander, both the stems and leaves, are rich in antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals. It can also aid digestion and is traditionally used to relieve gastrointestinal discomfort.
Lime zest gives the soup a refreshing citrus flavor and provides a good amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is crucial for collagen formation, wound healing and improving iron absorption.
In addition to adding a warm and earthy flavor to the soup, cumin also contains antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties. It is also believed to aid digestion and relieve digestive-related symptoms such as bloating and indigestion.
8. Chili flakes
Chili flakes not only add a spicy note to the soup, but they also contain a compound called capsaicin. Capsaicin can have a metabolism-stimulating effect and contribute to weight control.
While feta is used as a topping, it adds a tangy and creamy touch to the dish. Feta is a good source of calcium and protein, which are essential for bone health and muscle repair.
Toasted whole-wheat tortillas are a crunchy accompaniment to soup. They’re a healthier alternative to refined flour tortillas and contain more fiber, which supports healthy digestion and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Spiced Black Bean and Chicken Soup with Kale will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide your body with essential nutrients. Enjoy this tasty and nutritious soup as part of a balanced diet!