The Spanish omelette, also known as a tortilla, is a delicious and fluffy vegetarian dish that is perfect for making with older children. This recipe features a delicious combination of colorful peppers and hearty potatoes that create an explosion of flavor. With its simple but healthy ingredients, the tortilla is a nutritious and filling meal for the whole family. Whether for a casual family dinner or a weekend brunch, this Spanish omelette is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Get ready for an enjoyable cooking experience and delicious results!
- 500 g waxy potatoes, e.g. B.Charlotte
- piece of butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 8-9 eggs
- 1 x 25g pack of chives
Cooking with children
This recipe is suitable for children ages 9 to 14 with careful supervision. This includes knives, hot pans and boiling water. So please intervene where necessary to help them cook safely.
- Finely chop the onions and chop the red pepper, removing the seeds.
- Cut the potatoes into slices about ½ cm thick.
- Heat a piece of butter in a medium-sized frying pan (approx. 24cm) over low heat and fry gently for 10-15 minutes until it begins to brown. Then add the peppers and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer over simmering water for 10-12 minutes to soften. If you don’t have a steamer, place it in a pot, cover with boiling water and simmer gently until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, then drain well.
- Crack the eggs into a jug and beat them with a fork. Season with a generous pinch of pepper and a pinch of salt. Cut the chives into small pieces with scissors and stir in.
- Heat the grill.
- Add some more butter to the pan and add the potatoes.
- Pour over the egg mixture.
- Cook for 15 minutes, until almost set and the bottom is golden brown. You can lift and check the omelet with a fish slice.
- Place the skillet under the grill. Make sure the handle is outside the oven as it gets very hot and may burn.
- Let it cook for another minute or two and serve.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
This Spanish omelette recipe contains eggs and butter.
Storage and leftovers
You can store leftovers of this Spanish omelette in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat carefully before serving.
Health Benefits of Spanish Omelette
Spanish Omelette, also known as Tortilla Española, is a traditional dish from Spain that offers a number of health benefits. It is made from simple ingredients such as potatoes, onions, red pepper, eggs and chives, all of which contribute to its nutritional value. Let’s explore the health benefits of each ingredient:
Potatoes, especially waxy varieties like Charlotte, are a good source of carbohydrates, fiber and vitamins. They provide energy, aid digestion and support healthy intestinal bacteria. Potatoes are also rich in potassium, which helps maintain proper heart function and control blood pressure.
Finely chopped onions add flavor and health benefits to the Spanish omelette. Onions are a great source of antioxidants, vitamins C and B6, and fiber. They have anti-inflammatory properties, improve digestion and can even promote bone health.
3. Red pepper
Red pepper, also called capsicum, is rich in vitamins A and C as well as fiber. It has antioxidant properties that protect cells from free radical damage. Red peppers are also low in calories and increase the overall nutritional content of the dish.
Eggs are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin B12, which supports brain function and red blood cell production. Eggs also provide choline, which supports brain development and liver function.
Adding chives to the Spanish omelette not only enhances the flavor but also adds valuable nutrients. Chives are a good source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals such as calcium and iron. They also have antibacterial properties and can improve digestive health.
Together, the ingredients of the Spanish omelet create a well-rounded and nutritious dish. It’s a great option for a complete meal that provides important nutrients and supports various aspects of your health.