Looking for a delicious and easy dish? Then our one-pan Spanish fish stew is just right for you! This recipe is incredibly versatile and allows you to use any sustainable white fish or salmon to create a true culinary masterpiece. With its combination of exquisite flavors and hearty ingredients, this stew is the ultimate comfort food. Serve with a slice of crusty bread and you’ll have an irresistible meal that’s guaranteed to satisfy all your cravings. Don’t miss out on this easy-to-prepare, flavor-packed treat!
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 500g floury potatoes, cut into small pieces, no larger than 2cm cubes
- 1 tsp paprika
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cube of fish broth
- 200 g raw, peeled king prawns
- ½ chickpeas from a 410g can, rinsed and drained
- 500g skinless fish fillets, cut into very large pieces
- In a small bowl, mix the parsley with half the garlic and lemon zest and then set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and potatoes, cover the pan and sauté until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil, garlic and spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the lemon juice over it and sizzle briefly.
- Add the tomatoes and half a can of water and crumble in the broth.
- Season with a little salt and cover the pan.
- Let everything simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked through.
- Stir in shrimp and chickpeas.
- Place the fish pieces on top of the stew.
- Reduce the heat, return the pan to the pan, and then cook for about 8 minutes, stirring very gently once or twice.
- When the fish is just cooked, remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with the parsley mixture.
- Bring the dish to the table with the bottle of olive oil to drizzle on and some crusty bread if you like.
Equipment and tools
To make this Spanish fish stew in a pan, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Zester or grater
- Juicer or citrus press
- measuring spoon
- Medium pot or deep pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- tin opener
- Large spoon or ladle
If you have dietary restrictions or allergies, please note the following allergens contained in this recipe:
- olive oil
Storage and leftovers
This one-pan Spanish fish stew is best served fresh. However, if you have leftovers, here are some storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the stew to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, simply place the desired portion in a pot or microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat gently on the stove over low heat or microwave in short bursts, stirring occasionally.
- Make sure the stew is heated thoroughly before serving.
The Health Benefits of One Pan Spanish Fish Stew
Spanish fish stew in one pan is not only a delicious and comforting dish, but it also comes with tons of health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this stew can provide you with essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. Let’s dive into the different health benefits of each ingredient:
Flat-leaf parsley is more than just an aromatic garnish. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as folic acid and iron. These nutrients contribute to a healthy immune system, support bone health, and aid blood clotting.
Not only does garlic give this stew a distinctive flavor, but it also offers numerous health benefits. It contains compounds that can strengthen the immune system, lower blood pressure and fight oxidative stress. Garlic is also known for its potential to promote heart health.
The zest and juice of the lemon not only add a refreshing touch to the stew, but also provide a good amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects the body’s cells, supports collagen production and improves iron absorption.
Olive oil is an essential part of the Mediterranean diet and is known for its health benefits. It is a rich source of monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease and inflammation. In addition, olive oil contains antioxidants that protect against chronic diseases.
Onions add both flavor and health benefits to this stew. They’re low in calories and packed with antioxidants that help reduce inflammation, improve immune function and support heart health.
Floury potatoes are a good source of vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C supports collagen production and strengthens the immune system, while potassium supports heart health and helps maintain healthy blood pressure.
Paprika and cayenne pepper
The combination of paprika and cayenne pepper gives this stew a delicious spice and a range of potential health benefits. Both spices contain capsaicin, which can boost metabolism, reduce appetite and help relieve pain. They also possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as lycopene, a powerful antioxidant known to reduce the risk of certain cancers and promote heart health. Due to their high water content, they also contribute to overall hydration.
Fish stock cubes
The fish stock cube intensifies the flavor of the stew while providing additional nutrients. It contains minerals such as potassium and magnesium, which are essential for maintaining heart health and supporting nerve function.
Raw peeled king prawns
Shrimp is an excellent source of lean protein, low in saturated fat, and rich in essential nutrients such as selenium, vitamin E, and zinc. Protein is necessary for building and repairing tissue, while selenium and vitamin E act as antioxidants and support a healthy immune system.
Chickpeas are a great addition to this stew as they contain plant protein, fiber and various minerals. They are known to have positive effects on digestive health, weight management and blood sugar control.
Fish fillets without skin
Finally, the skinless fish fillets in this stew deliver a hefty dose of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health, reducing inflammation, and supporting heart health. Fish, especially fatty fish like salmon and mackerel, is one of the best sources of these beneficial fats.
Overall, the combination of these ingredients makes Spanish Fish Stew in One Pan an extremely nutritious and healthy dish. From supporting heart health to boosting the immune system, this stew is a fantastic choice for anyone looking to enjoy a delicious meal while nourishing their body.