This pantry dinner is super quick and super healthy to boot. Perfect for busy weeknights, Spaghetti with Sardines is a delicious and nutritious meal. The combination of Italian flavors, delicate pasta and omega-3 rich sardines make this dish a winner. The sardines provide an explosion of flavor and essential nutrients, while the spaghetti provides a calming effect. This dish is not only delicious, but also contributes to a balanced diet. Give it a try and enjoy a healthy, no-fuss dinner that will leave you full and wanting more.
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- a pinch of chili flakes
- 227 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 95g cans of skinless and boneless sardines in tomato sauce
- 100g pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- small handful of parsley, chopped
Use without skin
Sardines in it
Make a great dish
Anchovies – that’s what they are
also cheaper and
a great source for
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet and sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the chili flakes, tomatoes and sardines and chop roughly with a wooden spoon.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the olives, capers and most of the parsley.
- Mix well to combine.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a few tablespoons of water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. If the sauce is a little thick, add the reserved water.
- Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A saucepan or large pot for cooking the spaghetti
- A sieve for draining the cooked spaghetti
- A skillet or skillet for sautéing the garlic and chili flakes
- A wooden spoon or spatula for stirring the ingredients
- A can opener for opening cans of chopped tomatoes and sardines
- A knife and cutting board for chopping the black olives and parsley
- A tablespoon for measuring olive oil, capers and herbs
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish: Sardines are a type of fish
Please ensure that the brands or products you use do not contain any additional allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, you can add a splash of water or olive oil to prevent the spaghetti from drying out. It is important to note that the consistency of the dish may change slightly when reheated.
Health Benefits of Spaghetti with Sardines
Spaghetti with sardines is not only a delicious and filling meal but also offers numerous health benefits. The combination of pasta, sardines and other nutritious ingredients makes this dish a powerhouse of essential nutrients.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids
Sardines are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, especially when they are skinless and boneless like the ones used in this recipe. Omega-3 fatty acids are important for brain health, reduce inflammation and support heart health. Including sardines in your diet can help ensure a balanced intake of these beneficial fats.
Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue, supporting a healthy immune system, and providing energy. Sardines are high in protein, making them an excellent addition to this spaghetti dish. Protein helps you feel full and satisfied, which can be helpful in weight control.
3. Vitamin D and calcium
Sardines are also a good source of vitamin D and calcium. Vitamin D is important for bone health because it helps the body absorb and utilize calcium. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth and also plays a role in muscle function and nerve transmission. By using sardines in this recipe, you can increase your absorption of these vital nutrients.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe, such as garlic, tomatoes and olives, contain antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from harmful free radicals, which can contribute to chronic disease and the aging process. Including these ingredients in your spaghetti with sardines can provide a powerful antioxidant boost, supporting your overall health and well-being.
5. Sustainable and affordable
Using skinless, boneless sardines in this dish not only provides health benefits, but also provides a sustainable alternative to anchovies. When you choose sardines, you are choosing a fish that is plentiful and not at risk of overfishing is. Additionally, sardines tend to be cheaper than anchovies, making this recipe a budget-friendly choice for a nutritious meal.
In summary, spaghetti with sardines offers numerous health benefits due to its nutrient-rich ingredients. From omega-3 fatty acids and protein to vitamin D and calcium, this dish offers a well-rounded dose of essential nutrients. Additionally, the use of antioxidant-rich ingredients and the use of sustainable, affordable sardines make it an excellent choice for a healthy and filling meal.